Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Polaris Four Wheeler

Old 02-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Polaris Four Wheeler

The polaris quads do ride nice,but they are extremely heavy and spend more time in the shop than other brands.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 PM

I have a new Sportsman 300 and I love it. I installed an after market winch with no problems for a quarter of the cost of a Polaris winch that was half the power. I have owned Hondas and Arctic Cats and the Polaris is by far the smoothest ride with the independent rear suspension. The other ATVs I owned completely pounded my back.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

2004 1/2 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O., still running like a champ!! NEVER had any issues with mine.They have two gear ranges, high and low. You have to be in the right gear range to be able to do what you want to do. I feel that's the main issue with Polaris, guys try to do things in the wrong gear range and end up smoking the belt!! So it's more of an issue with the operator than the machine in my opinion. The ride of the Polaris is themost comfortable compared to the others that I have ridden on. I also see that some other brands are now finally comming out with independant suspensions. If I were to pick another make other than Polaris, it would be the Can-am line. They also make a great ATV.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM

never had a problem with my sportsman
Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hearing for the last 15 years how Polaris has come a long ways and are making much better bikes..lol. Yet over half the ones I see are still having more issues than a soup sandwich....
Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 PM

I have had 4 polaris atvs and still have a 330 magnun and a ranger xp they have never gave me a minutes trouble.the 330 is a little cold natured but want ain't in cold weather. my 700 efi ranger that what. i just never had any faith in the rice burners so i did it right the first time. i won't own anything else if you look on atv forums they all have problems more with honda yamaha polaris because they are so many out there and most problems is driver abuse and poor maint.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

most problems is driver abuse and poor maint.
That was not the case my friend and his wife has had and they retired 2 years ago. Those 2 Polaris atvs have been parked as it cost them to darn much $$$ getting them in and out of the shop..
Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

4 wheelers were built to be abused. If thats the case they may wanna back up and punt...
Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with the anti Polaris guys. I've been riding ATVs since 1994 and have seen and rode with many ATVs. Polaris definitely has a reliability issue.

I've had friends and coworkers that have owned Polaris and they always had problems. One guy I work with bought a new 325cc a few years back. He bought it with a snow plow to plow the driveway. He blew it up within 20 minutes of bringing it home.

He took it back to the dealer. They called him a few days later to inform him that somehow they didn't drill some holes somewhere to allow oil flow. It took about 3 months but they did return his ATV. And added 6 more months to the warranty since they had to rebuild it.

I'm not exactly sure what holes he was talking about but either was my buddy.

Me, my wife and kids have a full stable of ATVs. Yamaha 660 Grizzly, Honda Recon, Suzuki Ozark anda Kawasaki V-Force. We've had several others over the years. We take several camping trips with our ATVs during the summer. We really like the Marrionville trails in the Allegheny National Forest here in PA. We made a trip to the Rockhouse trail in the Hatfield/McCoy trails in West Virginia a few years ago.

I am not a brand loyal type of guy,but there is one ATV I will never own....a Polaris.

I've seen the problems many have had over the years. I've had friends that owned them and QUICKLY got rid of them.

I've heard the the Jap companies test their new models quads for several months to several years before they release them out on the market. They want to see what breaks before they sell it.

Polaris is different.When they get a new model, they put it out on the market and let the customer find out what the problems are. That is why they change things on the same model quad each year. Must be the American way. Let the customer figure out what is wrong at their expense.

You even seen it here when someone stated their quad was a 2004 1/2. Why the 1/2 year designation?

Look at the Sportsman models over the years. One year no grease fittings. Next year grease fittings. Next year lubeless bushings. They are constantly changing things each years to fix problems. I guees the good thing is, that at least they fix the problems.

I talked to a guy that use to work for a Polaris dealership and he even admitted that they are always breaking down.

I talked tobuddy that is a mechanic at the dealership where I bought my Grizzly. That dealership sells Yamaha and Polaris. He even tells me how the Polaris quads are alway coming back becaues things are breaking or quit working. He did say that Polaris ATVs are easier to work on.

Anyway, I've ranted enough. I will admit one thing. Polaris ATVs do have the nicest, smoothest ride of all manufacturers.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 PM

they all have problem here are some complaints from othe brand owners
have a rancher 350 2002 the problem started out with it not getting gas to the carb, so I pulled it off and cleaned out. Now I'm getting gas coming out the overflow. So I ordered a needle and float and replaced it, but it is still pouring gas out of the over flow. HELP

2004 Honda rancher 400 won't go into 4 wheel drive, but light indicator says it is in 4 wheel drive
by floss1961 on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:11 pm
I am wondering what the problem could be? the light indicator shows thst it should be in 4 wheel drive but she isn't?[/align][/align]

Rev Problem - 2001 Yamaha Kodiak Ultramatic
by Jade on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:16 pm
I was riding around in the snow, and I got it stuck. Doing this, I revved it up a lot, and ever since I got it out, it tops out at about 1/3 throttle.

I adjusted the throttle limiter screw and all that to no avail.

Advice? What could be the problem?[/align][/align]

Quick Reply: Polaris Four Wheeler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.