HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Hunting boots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/229355-hunting-boots.html)

KWHunter 01-27-2008 04:01 PM

Hunting boots

Lowa vs. Meindl
I plan to buy a new pair of hunting boots, and I'm looking at both manufacturers; actually I'm considering either a Meindl (Cabelas) Denali or a Lowa Hunter GTX.
I have read the reviews on the respective sites, both boots are great and the pricing is in the high $$$ on both and not that far apart.
I would appreciate if any wearers of either-or would share their experienc.
Thanks.

Champlain Islander 01-27-2008 05:21 PM

RE: Hunting boots

We are Eastern Hunters and use rubber boots due to the deep snow. A couple of years ago a few of us decided to try elk hunting in the Rockys of Colorado. We knew we would need boots that were warm but gave great support. We all bought boots and for the most part were satisfied with them. One of my buddies got Meindl Perfek from Cabelas and said they were really comfortable and held up well to all the rugged walking we had to do. I bought a pair of Danner Grand Slam boots and liked them. They were very comfortable and gave great traction but they were a little noisy. I am sure I can quiet them but haven't had the time to fool around with them. Both the Danners and the Meindl's were 400 gram gortex and didn't leak. The third partner got a pair of Irish Setter insulated gortex boots and they were quiet and comfortable but leaked. He was disappointed with them. When it comes to foot wear spend the money. Cutting corners won’t work out if you get blisters or sore feet.

losthwy 01-28-2008 08:31 PM

Keep in mind what kind of hunting you'll be doing. For my money, there is no ONE boot for everthing. I use a light, lightly insulated boot for walking and upland. And a heavy well insulated boot for stationary hunting.

youngfart 01-28-2008 10:25 PM

Which Boot To Wear

Like the fella said above, it all depends on where and what time of the season you'll be hunting. Right now I use the Danner pronghorns for my elk & antelope hunting,both uninsulated as with both types of hunting you'll be covering lots of ground in a warm climate. With early season Moose and whitetail I use Danners with 1000 insulate,great comfort and very quiet with the best support you can get for your bucks. November comes around I wear my Kodiaks good to -140 and still my feet get cold after 8 hours of not moving much. For ealy season Goat and high mountain Mulies I have never found a boot as stable and light weight and that can dry in an hour if wet as my old army jungle boots. With the steel plate that runs through thefoot of the boot you get an extra protection on the shale and small kinds of rocks you'll be climbing and enduring.The plus side of the Jungle boot is the grips and very hard rubber that won't let go on those edges that you'll need the grip to keep you on your feet.
Hope I'ver been of some help.
Rocky

KWHunter 01-30-2008 09:14 PM

Well, thanks guys for your input.
Not much climbing where I live, just lots of walking on the fields and woods.
I am looking for an all around boot for mild cold and warmer weather that provides good ankle support and would keep the feet dry.
I think the Lowas fit in. I have read lots of reviews for many brands and models and I believe these are one of the best.

Alsatian 02-06-2008 09:18 AM

I like the Meindl Perfekt Hunters. They provide excellent support, are comfortable, and require little breakin. They have 400 grams of THINSULATE (rather than 400 grams of Goretex). They are pretty much waterproof -- maybe because of a Goretex liner (but not 400 grams of it). I have used mine for several mountain hikes above treeline and for an elk hunt in October2006. Good support for the ankles and good soles for cushioning feet from rocks.

I have had my feet --wearing a thin inner polypropolene sock on the inside and a heavy wool/synthetic sock on the outside -- get cold in these boots when sitting very still in a ground blind while deer hunting at about 18 degrees temperature. I'm not sure how you keep your toes warm when you sit still for 60 minutes, as you do deer hunting, and it is pretty cold. Drink brandy? Drink hot coffee/cocoa? I have wrapped my shoes in a blanket that I carried out to my ground blind one day, and that helped.