HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Big Game game carts (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/227350-big-game-game-carts.html)

Cougar Mag 01-15-2008 11:57 AM

Big Game game carts

Anyone have any experience with these? Looking at game carts and a local supply store has them for 25% off. Rated at 500 lbs. capacity, folds up, 20 " solid tires, weight is 40 lbs.(steel). Here is a pic:

WVSPORTSMAN 01-15-2008 02:23 PM

RE: Big Game game carts

i haven't ever owned one, but one of the areas i hunt here in wv is national forest, which means no atv's. i see the same old guy, every year with one just like it. he seems to do great with his. he puts his gear on it and pulls it in. he seems to go further in the woods thananyone elseone i know. i've seen him carry out several deer with his no problem, and like i said, he is older and i can't image he could pull one out with a pull rope. but old timers have been known to surprise me before:D. i would buy one, but i don't hunt that area as much as i used to. hope this was helpful

kevin1 01-18-2008 06:26 AM

I have one, they're very handy. We use it for hauling all knds of things, and when we're done I hang it on a pair of hooks in the garage.

Cougar Mag 01-18-2008 10:49 AM

Thanks guys. I done the deal, bought it and put it together in about 15 minutes. Now that I am familiar with it, it goes together and takes apart in 5 minutes or less.....I plan on carrying in my truck broke down to save space. I am going to change a couple of things: first remove the hairpin from the center of the axle and replace it with a grade 8 bolt....just in case something in the woods would pop the hairpin out. Next, add a locknut to each of the 4 bolts holding the side gussets in place, that way I don't have to worry about losing the bolts when taking it down or putting it together in the field. Last thing: add the spoke protectors from Cabelas or make my own. Won't have to worry about sticks getting into the spokes.

Can't wait to try carrying a deer out with it, wish I had it this past season, it would have been perfect in all 3 situations!

glockman55 01-18-2008 05:02 PM

I've got one, You might not use it all the time but when you can't drive to your Deer and you have a long drag by yourself they're nice to have.
I bought mine after season as well.

gunny97 01-18-2008 11:00 PM

before i bought my bad boy buggy i used mine a lot and really still do in some areas. ive pulled two 250 pd hogs out at one time with it . they could make the wheels wider apart though so it doesnt tip over so easy. but a good piece of gear

Rickmur 01-19-2008 05:56 AM

Coug, that model looks like it has 2 handles. I would think a curved handle attaching both uprights would make for easier pulling or pushing.

Cougar Mag 01-19-2008 07:11 AM

Coug, that model looks like it has 2 handles. I would think a curved handle attaching both uprights would make for easier pulling or pushing.
I thought about that. Might be able to just pull from the other end[&:]. A guy on AT posted a pic of a nice buck he pulled out with his cart. He laid one end on his tailgate and lifted the cart with deer into his truck. Good size guy though.

revpilot 01-20-2008 11:12 AM

Cougar Mag

I have the Cabelas Mag hauler and love it. I was amazed how easy it was to pull with a deer through the CRP grass. Also my directions said remove the pin in center of axle after wheels were tightened, it was just suppose to keep axle from turning when tightening nut on wheels, not sure if yours is the same, sure looks like it

Cougar Mag 01-20-2008 12:50 PM

revpilot, mine has a hairpin on each end of the wheel. I'll see how it does and if I don't like it I will thread each axle end and use a locknut with washer instead of the hairpins. I guess the hairpin is used on each axle to end to make breaking the entire cart down fast and easy if desired for removal. It may allow too much play though.....we'll see.