Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Gun Safe

Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 PM

Default RE: Gun Safe

The fact that the hinges are on the outside will probably make it easier to break into......seeing as they could be easily gotten to.....but if the safe has enough pins it should not be a big deal.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, if it has pins then you could cut the hinges off and the door still isn't going to move.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

Yeah, if it has pins then you could cut the hinges off and the door still isn't going to move.
I was told the same thing when I purchased mine with the hinges on the outside...

Come on Rebel Hog, where are you !!! He’ll straighten it all out......
Old 01-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Do you guys think the Safe you have is a good safe because it looks good???Tell us what makes your safe a good safe.Out of 6 sides is the door your strongest point?

This is what I did for 31 yrs......
Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Do you guys think the Safe you have is a good safe because it looks good???Tell us what makes your safe a good safe.Out of 6 sides is the door your strongest point?

This is what I did for 31 yrs......
I really don't know. I went with 12 pins on the door, 40min fire rating, gun capacity, and of course price. Ours isn't glossy and fancy either.

I would think what makes the best safe would be fire ratings and weight.

But, after the trouble with the Browning and seeing how the door is designed, I would not buy another without taking it apart and checking to see how everything is made.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: jeep kid

I really don't know. I went with 12 pins on the door, 40min fire rating, gun capacity, and of course price. Ours isn't glossy and fancy either.
12 bolts is good, what size are they? 40 min fire rating (fair), remember you only get what you pay for...

I would think what makes the best safe would be fire ratings and weight.
No that's not all that makes a good safe.What makes a good safehas many factors for the external, like Door Plate Thickness and thickness on the other 5 sides, U.L. Combination Locks,BurglarToolResistance (TL 30, TL 60, etc.,etc.,), Torch Resistance (TR 30, Tr 60, etc.,etc.,) andExplosive Resistance(TX Rating).

Now for the Internal, the Lock Case shouldhave a minimum of 3 brass key change tumblers, haveInternal Relockers & External Relockers, the door should have Relockers (minimum of 2) and a minimum of 1 1/2 hr Fire Rating.

Everything I stated above are Minimums, there are otherOptions to make them better like, U.L. Ratings on Combination Locks, Combination Lock casesProtectedorUnprotected, DoorRelockers (different styles) and of course Fire Ratings..

Most safes have 2" overlapping metal strips or metal tabs welded tothe inside of thedoor on the hinge side. So removing the hinges will do no good.

But, after the trouble with the Browning and seeing how the door is designed, I would not buy another without taking it apart and checking to see how everything is made.
I have a Browning Medallion, but all U.L. Rated.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think they are 1", but thats just off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info Rebel, thats good stuff.

I will eventually just build a gun room with a vault door so I can build it how I want.

The safe company just called, so I'll give ya guys an update about what they are going to do for us.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I will eventually just build a gun room with a vault door so I can build it how I want.

The safe company just called, so I'll give ya guys an update about what they are going to do for us.
Check the Vault Rooms & Vault Doors

http://www.safesrus.com/fort-knox-executive-safes.html
Old 01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: peewee39183

Always get one larger than what you think you need.

I agree totally! I sold some safes years ago and that was what I told every customer. They seem to fill up twice as fast as you think they should.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Check the Vault Rooms & Vault Doors

http://www.safesrus.com/fort-knox-executive-safes.html
Thanks Rebel, I have it bookmarked.

Quick Reply: Gun Safe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.