HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   External Frame Packs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/225229-external-frame-packs.html)

wmm 01-01-2008 02:54 PM

External Frame Packs

Any and all suggestions appreciated!! I want an external frame pack, lightweight, capable of 3,500-4,500 cubic inches. Trying to find something I can hunt with everyday and have the option of using the same pack for overnight trips. So far the Nimrod pack frame has my interest, because of the adaptability. Any thoughts?

maks_daddy 01-02-2008 01:32 PM

RE: External Frame Packs

i've looked at a lot of packs and i found that Bass Pro's Redhead external frame pack was the most comfortable and it was pretty easy on the wallet as well, the quality seems to be equal to other packs more expensive

Champlain Islander 01-03-2008 02:13 PM

I have used the Cabelas Outfitter frame and pack the past 2 years in Colorado hauling out elk. I think it is really a nice frame and not a bad price either. No problem carrying out a bull elk quarter with a decent frame. The pack is detachable has a water bladder and can carry a weeks worth of gear. Really balances the load over your hips.
Last trip out with just the antlers and some gear.....tired but happy.

wmm 01-09-2008 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info gentlemen... Question to both of you, are these packs light weight? And is it something you can wear on an everyday hunt as your pack. I hunt roughly 3 days a week, take 5 animals a year, if you do the math, that's a lot of days where it's just you and your pack all day long.

Champlain Islander 01-11-2008 06:33 AM

The Cabelas frame with pack I have can be used either with or without the pack. In the picture I just had the frame and was using it to carry the last of my animal out of the dark timber where I shot it. The pack can be used with the frame or alone since it has hidden carry straps that come out of the main body if needed. The frame is very light weight and could actually serve to carry any pack regardless of manufacture. The pack I got with mine is quite large and would work wonderfully to pack in for a spike camp. In addition it is mostly waterproof with lots of methods of attachment. The frame even has an orange cover with straps that comes out of a pouch to hold quarters of meat. You put the quarters on the shelf and then pull out the orange cover and tighten the straps to securely hold the quarter. No movement or shifting and the frame sits on your hips to balance the weight.
This is the one I have.

wmm 01-11-2008 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I have been looking into that one actually. It's on the list. Thanks again!!