Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Daddy needs a new pair of boots >

Daddy needs a new pair of boots

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Daddy needs a new pair of boots

Old 12-26-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Daddy needs a new pair of boots

Ok guy's I need a new pair of boots to take with me to Colorado next year. I have rubber boots and a pair of Muck boots but, I need a goot pair of Rocky type boots. I would like to stay less than 150 and they will need to be insulated. Since this will be my first trip to the mountains any advice on what to look for in those type of boots would be helpful too. You can never get to much advice when it comes to comfort. Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Daddy needs a new pair of boots

In your price range take a look at some Irish Setter's. IME they have been a darn good boot for the money. I like air bob soles for hills and frozen terrain here, which theyuse in thedeer and elk tracker lines. Though I recall see a Mountain grip boot this year at a redwing dealer that looked pretty interesting as well and was a tad lighter then thetracker series.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Spike

If you can find a pair of Danners in your price range, get them. One of the most comfortable boots to wear. My cousin finnally listened to my advise and got a pair. As a result of a motorcyle accident his foot is hard to fit in shoes. He has been complaining about boots for the last eight years. This year he had Danners and was in love with them. The first year he could walk up and down the mountain with out pain and discomfort.
Personally my hunting boots are Sportsmans Guide Guide Gear boots. They are cheap but comfortable and warm. I bought these before I bought my Danner upland boots. But for my next pair, when my current ones are worn out, will be Danners.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:39 AM

What amount of insulation do I need? Like I said I've never been elk hunting before. Last year they had 9 inches of snow drop and they say the temps range between 10-65 degrees daily. I am thinking the 600-800 range may be good enough since we will be doing a lot of walking. What do you think?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:27 PM

I went with the Muck Whitetail 400 gr. I got them for $37 including tax. Regular $134 caught them on a inventory reduction sale at a mom and pop outfitter store.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 AM

This is what I'm buying. Tried a pair on at Sportsman's WH and they are VERY comfy right out of the box. Can't wait to throw the old boots away.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7257911.html

Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

I lovee my uninsulated Danners for walking hunting in Montana. They are about 1/2 - 1size too big for oversized socks. I do kingd of wish they were taller for hunting. IMHO, a hunter needs an 8" or greater boot for ankle support.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 PM

I will vote for the danner pronghorns as well. I have the 1000g 8" and they are great to walk in. Now, I was surprised this passed season in stand. High winds and cold temps and they weren't any warmer than my insulated rubber alpha burleys. But 20 feet in a tree, cold and high winds will tax any boot.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:57 PM

Danner boots are great.I was very lucky to be one of the guys to test those boots while I was in the Army. And that was over 20 years ago. ( Yea I old lol) They listned to us and made improvements and we got 2 pair of boots free that we used to walk 100 miles in. and they preformed great. Make sure you ask if the boot can be re soled as it will happen over time . Most of the danner boots can wich makes them a lifetime boot unlike other brands
Old 01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Dominant Buck

We are Eastern Hunters and use rubber boots due to the deep snow. A couple of years ago a few of us decided to try elk hunting in the Rockys of Colorado. We knew we would need boots that were warm but gave great support. We all bought boots and for the most part were satisfied with them. One of my buddies got Meindl Perfek from Cabelas and said they were really comfortable and held up well to all the rugged walking we had to do. I bought a pair of Danner Grand Slam boots and liked them. They were very comfortable and gave great traction but they were a little noisy. I am sure I can quiet them but haven't had the time to fool around with them. Both the Danners and the Meindl's were 400 gram gortex and didn't leak. The third partner got a pair of Irish Setter insulated gortex boots and they were quiet and comfortable but leaked. He was disappointed with them. When it comes to foot wear spend the money. Cutting corners won’t work out if you get blisters or sore feet.

Quick Reply: Daddy needs a new pair of boots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.