Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What Binoculars to get

Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Binoculars to get

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

www.eagleoptics.com Anywhere from a 8x30- 8x42 would be fine depends on how much you can carry comfortably. Some like the Crooked horn Bino systems for heavier binos. Swift,Bushnell,Pentax are other good makes..there are lots more now then even 3 years ago. You will never complain about good optics but will curse bad optics so spend more money if possible. search for a dollar range and you will get a pretty good range of binos on that website
I agree 100% about Eagle Optics! They have a really good product and for the money, they can't be beat. I have one of theirspotting scopes for NRA highpower shooting and when compared to Leicas and other high $$$ scopes, they rank right up there with them. And considering that they're 1/4 of the price of these other scopes makes it even better.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check skyoptics.com I got a pair of Celestron 10X42 there. I've used them on antelope, mule deer, and elk hunts. Even the guides that were with me using their Liecas and Swavorskys were impressed by the clarity and light gatering quality of these well made but inexpensive binos. Now I won't say they are as good as these brands, you can notice a difference at first and last light but for the average hunter, they are damn good.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

"Good" is relative. And in your price range for elk hunting you might find yourself on the short in wishing you had invested more in quality glass. If that is the top end of your budget I would be looking at porro-prism only.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:28 PM

Just bought a pair of camo pentax binos 8x32, like them so much ended up buying a pair for my dad. Their no excuse warranty and water resistance were top points for me and the clarity is amazing. Bought them off ebay through "fox optics" right around $100 with shipping. Everyone that has looked throught them has been impressed. I highly recomend them.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: losthwy

"Good" is relative. And in your price range for elk hunting you might find yourself on the short in wishing you had invested more in quality glass. If that is the top end of your budget I would be looking at porro-prism only.
I agree completely. What seperates better glass bins from lessers isn't justimage qualitiesit is alsoeye fatigue or strain. For the glance type user the cheaper glass may appear to be very good and it actually maybe all they need. I know I never really appreciated betterbins until I started darn near wearing the things during scouting and hunting.Then I started going through them like chewing gum until I finally poniedquality bins. Howeverif your usage is glassing for extended periods, several days in a row, etcthen you will surely find benefits to spending more. I would assume for this poster heading to colorado to hunt elk, glassing will on the menu and this might be worth consideration.

Give Doug a call or visitthe site (knowledgeable, great service and prices): http://www.cameralandny.com/

Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

I own a pair of swarovski 8x30 SLC bino's i bought back in 1995. great glass but expensive. i have heard good things about Vortex products.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

I love my Bushnell Trophy 10x42. More affordable than Zeiss and Steinerand just as good!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

$200 is a tough price point.

For $250, I can reccomend New Nikon 8x36 Monarch ATB Binocular. I tried these when I got my bino's and was very impressed.

For $200, These Steiner 8x30 Military / Marine Binocularalways looked good to me, if I had a finger free to adjust each eyepiece.

For $270, I would definately try these. . .Leupold 8x42 Green Ring Cascades Binocular

For $250, Swift 8x42 Ultra Porro Prism Binocular. These have gotten great reviews.

My basic advice would be to try a few. When trying to get the best value for the buck with bino's, think:
- low power - shows less glass imperfection and gives a wider field of view.
- large objective - lets more light through. Can make less expensive binoculars seem brighter, even though they lacck high dollar coatings.
- porro prism - Roof prisms just cost more to get an image even close to a porro prism.

When I looked at all of this, my price point was $300ish. For that money, I found Bushnell Discoverer7 x 50's. Theyhave been a good bino for me.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Vortex all the way great binos for the money crystal clear optics
Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

For $270, I would definately try these. . .Leupold 8x42 Green Ring Cascades Binocular

I got a pair..I'm a birder and bought them for birding as well as hunting..THEY ARE WONDERFUL!! Actually I got the 10 x 42..narrower window with more power..optics are crystal clear.

Quick Reply: What Binoculars to get

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.