HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   New to Treestand... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/222437-new-treestand.html)

rgmuckli 12-13-2007 08:44 AM

New to Treestand...

Hey Guys, I am new to deer hunting and I am going to go rifle and bow hunting next year. Since bow hunting season starts first I will be do that first. I have never hunted with a tree stand before and really don't know much about how they work or what kinds there are. Do you guys have any advice on information I can read as a newbie to it or what kind of tree stand I should be looking at? If it matters I will weight about 180 when I get the stand and I have never been great at climing tree without a letter or help.

Rebel Hog 12-13-2007 09:31 AM

RE: New to Treestand...

ORIGINAL: rgmuckli

If it matters I will weight about 180 when I get the stand and I have never been great at climing tree without a letter or help.

Do you want one of us to send you a Letter or come Help you?:)

Type Tree Climbing Stands in your Search and see the different brands and models......

CamoCop 12-13-2007 02:57 PM

first you got to decide whether you want to hunt from the ground (ground blind) or a tree (tree stand). there are 3 basic types of tree stands, climbing tree stands (which are not as hard to operate as you might think), lock on stands (which you have to attatch steps to the tree and fasten the stand to the tree) and ladder stands (which lean up against the tree). the easiest out of all of them is the ladder stand. it is also the quietest and quickest way to get set up to hunt. the only draw back to ladder stands is they normally take alot more effort to initially set up and take down....but once set up you just climb in them and hunt. you leave them on the tree. i favor the climbing stands because i like to be very versatile. i move around alot from place to place to keep the deer from patterning me. in climbing stands you can also climb as high as the tree allows and/or you are comfortable. the drawback to climbing stands is you have to "climb" the tree each time you hunt....which does make some noise and takes a couple extra minutes. i don't know much about the lock on stands because they have never "impressed" me enough to buy one.

JayDeavor 12-13-2007 07:48 PM

I personaly like a ladder stand.. I have been hunting out of tree stands for years and there is nothing like it! The vision you will experience from a tree stand is immense..

loganw 12-13-2007 08:58 PM

Ladder stands are easier to put up and typically more comfortable. Hang-ons are easier to back in and out. Climbers are good if you know there are straight, limbless trees in your area. Otherwise they are a pain. Just my two cents

allegiance21 12-14-2007 10:27 AM

Ladder stands take the longest to set up, IMO are by far the loudest, are the heaviest, and usually need two people to set up. Hang ons take a little getting used to. You need a good set of climbing sticks (lone wolfs are my favorite, but expensive, and if you get them you need 4 sticks). You absolutely must get used to using a lineman's belt when you hang a hang on stand. That frees up both your arms, and makes setting up the sticks and stand much quicker, safer, and easier. Climbers are the most versatile in my opinion. I use a summit viper and I can be up the tree and ready to hunt with bow in hand in about 5 minutes because I've been using climbers now for about 7 or 8 years. I feel extremely safe while climbing and sitting in that stand. But, whether youhunt private or public land could definitely influence your decision. I hunt public land so i have a climber and two hang on stands. I used to own a ladder stand. It was the first stand i bought. I sold it 2 years after I bought it because it's way too heavy to lug around. Then, I boughtan Ol' man climber stand and realized my type of hunting was geared towards these stands. I coul always find a tree to use it in. sometimes pruning is necessary, but it works out. I sold that stand eventually after I upgraded to the summit. I have 2 hang ons at the moment also. I just previously bought the lone wolf alpha hang on w/ the lone wolf sticks. I have found out after setting it up several times I will never be up a tree as fast as i will with the summit, but after using it many times my set up time will decrease. also with the hang on i can get into trees with branches i couldn't otherwise get into. Climbers are the easiest to use all around, i think.

JayDeavor 12-14-2007 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: allegiance21

Ladder stands take the longest to set up, IMO are by far the loudest, are the heaviest,
I can only see that people think that ladder stands are noisy.. I have been hunting out of a ladder stand for many years now and DO NOT have any problems with noise.... If they are properly attached to the tree tightly you wouldn't get any noise from them!

allegiance21 12-17-2007 09:17 AM

I know you won't get any noise once they are attached to the tree. I meant they are loud to set up.

nksmfamjp 01-14-2008 08:35 PM

Since I'm not a land owner, I prefer a climber. I have an older climber which is basically unavailable now. There are many like it though. It has the square tubes and you stick a pin through the square tube and through the cable loop. That said, this construction is loud to get on the tree and then very quiet. My next stand will be an Equalizer. It looks absolutely quiet and easy to level. All climbers lack a certain stability up in the tree, but the Ameristep and the Equalizer look the best. This only affects you when leaning side to side.

Next, they all come with a free harness. IMHO, just put the free one on Ebay! Buy a good comfortable harness to walk and fall in. When I say comfortable to fall in, make sure when pulling on the strap that your weight is supported by your waist and hips, like a rock ckimber's harness. They all look the same, but if you look how some load the leg loops and waist belt, you can see you will be hung by your armpits! Check it out. Next is the tree strap. Most tree straps are junk. Too slow to use and no stretch in a fall. I use climbing rope. It has a fixed loop and the rope is run around the tree and through the loop. Very quick to climb with. I attach to the rope with a prussic knot. I attach my harness to the prussic loop with a locking carabiner.Summit sells this as a kit. Not sure about their rope quality. The prussic allows me a lot of flexibilityto move around.

Last, climb high. Sure a 12 foot ladder stand is ok, but climb like 20 feet or so in a climber. It is eeasy and reduces the chance of being seen. Climbers are generally more easy to get very high with. Higher is better IMHO.

http://images.ebsco.com/summit/harness_1.jpg?w=500&q=100