Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS

Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 PM

Default GPS

Looking to buy one, but doing my homework first. Any opinions on ones that are good, ones that suck, ones with good features, etcetc? Most of the buyer reviews on the shopping sites seem to be from geocachers and yuppies.
Thanks in advance,
Melinda
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: GPS

I have experince from several points of view. I use gps for travel, military, geocaching, hunting, and just plain fun (exploring). For hunting purposes, a mapping unit with topo maps loaded would be most usefull. I prefer Garmin (Etrex Legend HCx is great for the money) myself but Magellan also makes great units. What are you looking for in one? Budget?

Some features that might interest you.. USB connectivity, map data storage on micro SD cards as opposed to internal memory.. color maps.. topo map availability.. and the obvious, size, battery life, and ease of use.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

Garmin Rino, great tool in the field and also while traveling.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I work with GPS units every day and have tested dozens of models. I would highly recommend the Cx models that peeker mentioned above. I have not been pleased with the Magellan units. They tend to be not as accurate (in my opinion) and they can be very sensitive to the type of battery used. I, personally, use a Pocket PC with GPS. That way I can use aerial photos as well as topo maps for my tracking. Give me much more detail. I would stick to a model that uses the SiRF III or MTK chipset. Much better tracking in poor signal conditions (canyons, high buildings, tree cover).
Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

I just picked up the Garmin 60csx. So far I like it very much. The reception is much better than my original gps, which was an etrex, especially in thick woods. The screen is very nice. I haven't found any fault in it yet.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

I to have a Garmin 60CSX and really like it. I just upgraded to it. My other one is a Garmin Etrex Legend. Nice unit also. If your interested I'm willing to let it go (Legend) at a good price since I just upgraded. Its in MINT condition and the GPS cover you can have with it to. If your interested PM me.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Delorme Earthmate, enough said...www.delorme.com
Old 11-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I like the Garmin Etrex Vista loaded with topo maps for all the states I hunt. Lots of capacity and is compact enough for hunting. Having one with maps for hunting is a real plus.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using the Garmin Etrex Legend. Been happy with it for what I use it for. For basic navigation and getting back to the truck any gps will work well enough. I'd say look for the features you think you'll need. I would upgrade to the Rhino but can't see the need with two different sets of 2 way radios, etc. then all my buddies will need to change too.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

I can not recommend one, but I can tell you that I have a Lowrance I finder Hunt and I hate it. My wife gave it to me as a gift so I have not had the heart to tell her I want to sell it. I do not have a lot of experience with GPS but this thing is the most complicated device I have ever seen.It is not user friendly especially in the field.

JMO...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.