Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Just bought the Bad Boy Buggie: My review >

Just bought the Bad Boy Buggie: My review

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Just bought the Bad Boy Buggie: My review

Old 11-24-2007, 05:46 AM

Default RE: Just bought the Bad Boy Buggie: My review

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

I like the BBB's, but I'm concerned about having to buy new batteries a few years down the road. New batteries will cost as much as the buggy is worth after 3-4 years of heavy use. Also--how do they perform in deep water (2-3 feet)? I hunt in the river bottoms were the water can keep pretty deep in the low spots.
I would have to respectfully disagree. Now bear in mind, I am a dealer so my opinion might not be accepted by all. I have been with Bad Boy since the beginning of the company. I have seen the buggies evolve from a converted golf cart to what we now sell and know first hand the advancements that have gone into this machine. I just replaced the batteries in my buggie for the first time. I got 5 full seasons out of my batteries. It cost me about $800 to do this. I watch ebay everyday to guage the value of these machines and believe that my buggie would bring around 5 grand if I chose to sell it. To be honest its worth more than that to me and I wouldn't sell it. Not only that, I have never bought a gallon of gasoline for it and the annual service we do on them is less than a gasoline powered atv (and less frequent) so I feel even with the $800 bucks for batteries, it is more economical in the long run to own.

Someone else was wondering about upgrades and what people do to make the buggies more functional. These buggies are a tinkers dream. With 12 volt power immediately available, you are only limited by your imagination. The most common thing I see are extra lights. Like a backup light or a interior light. We have more and more accessories coming out all the time. Great Day Inc sells a line of stuff just for the Bad Boy. A front end loader for deer or hogs. A rear hitch n haul and all sorts of gun racks and bow carriers.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once you hunt in silence you wont be able to imagine how you ever went into the woods on a gasoline powered ATV.
On the contrary.We use our quads to get into remote locations to our camps that can be 15 or 20 miles from the road.We can get there and back on a tank of gas.According to the website,the electric buggy would barely get there and then require a recharge.Then again at -20 degrees which is common in our area in November,the battery life will be even shorter,so we might not even reach camp in heavy going.Since there is no electricity at our camps,we would have to haul in a generator,and the fuel to run it.For the person that just uses the electric buggy to ride to his stand a few miles away,the electric buggy might be a good idea,but for those of use that travel farther in a day,or don't have electricity at our camp,they would be of little use.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

[align=center]Video Media Player[/align]
Old 11-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

How many miles does a fully charged battery last for?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

From the bad boy site.

Travel up to 28 miles and up to 17 miles per hour on a single charge!
That is up to,so one can only assume that 28miles would be with no load,on a smooth trail,and likely at a reduced speed.Add in mud or snow,or a load and that will be reduced accordingly.As well,batteries do not perform nearly as well in cold weather.I wonder what the range would be if you needed to make a couple of trips to remove a large moose from a swamp,or to retrieve an elk through snow on a cold day.Thanks ,but I will stay with my gas powered atv because I do need to retrieve moose and elk in severe conditions,and I know that they have the range to do the job.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I might add this thing sounds like a wet dream for road hunters...
Old 11-27-2007, 05:45 AM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

From the bad boy site.

Travel up to 28 miles and up to 17 miles per hour on a single charge!
That is up to,so one can only assume that 28miles would be with no load,on a smooth trail,and likely at a reduced speed.Add in mud or snow,or a load and that will be reduced accordingly.As well,batteries do not perform nearly as well in cold weather.I wonder what the range would be if you needed to make a couple of trips to remove a large moose from a swamp,or to retrieve an elk through snow on a cold day.Thanks ,but I will stay with my gas powered atv because I do need to retrieve moose and elk in severe conditions,and I know that they have the range to do the job.
Bad Boy has been so overwhelmed with orders from their dealers they cannot keep up. They are understaffed and have not devoted enough resources to media. The web site info is based on the previous model. For 2008 they totally revamped the operating system. The range of the buggie is 30 miles and the top end is 21 mph. That is based on trail running in hills near the factory in Natchez MS. Please ignore stubblejumpers assesment that the range is based on smooth trails with no load. We also have a distributor in the extreme North that covers New York state and Canada. Fact is, many of the buggies tested bust 40 miles before being discharged but Bad Boy has always advertised less range than they knew the machines were capable of to take into account that some moron may load the buggie down with twice the rated cargo and try to drive it through the river swamp.

Stubblejumper, I get the idea that you don't want a Bad Boy. If I were 20 miles from my stand in -20 degree weather and was going to haul out a freakin moose, I wouldn't want one either. Nowhere has BBE promoted or advertised their buggie for that type job. You are here only to discourage people from a Bad Boy Buggie and I don't understand why. For you to not want a Bad Boy so bad, something is keeping you around this thread. I think you secretly want one for Christmas and are trying to talk yourself out of it.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stubblejumper, I get the idea that you don't want a Bad Boy. If I were 20 miles from my stand in -20 degree weather and was going to haul out a freakin moose, I wouldn't want one either. Nowhere has BBE promoted or advertised their buggie for that type job. You are here only to discourage people from a Bad Boy Buggie and I don't understand why. For you to not want a Bad Boy so bad, something is keeping you around this thread. I think you secretly want one for Christmas and are trying to talk yourself out of it.
I am just pointing out that with todays technology,all battery powered units suffer from the same limitations,the largest of which is range between charges.For that reason alone,I would never consider any electric unit.For the person that just drives a few miles to a deer stand,and then home every night to a location where they can plug the unit in,it may work well for them.However,many of us are more demanding of our atvs because we hunt larger game,farther away from an electrical source.In summer we ride our atvs to camp sites located about 50 miles away on sand trails.With gas powered quads,we can easily maintain 40mph on most of the trail,and reach our destination on a single tank,carrying enough fuel on the rack for the return trip.An electric atv would be useless in that situation,requiring a person to tow a trailer to haul a generator and fuel,and requiring a person to stop at least once,on each trip to recharge the unit.

The purpose of my posts,is simply to encourage people to look at the severe range limitations that go with an electric atv before buying one.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper
The purpose of my posts,is simply to encourage people to look at the severe range limitations that go with an electric atv before buying one.
I guess its just a matter of perspective. In most of the US a thirty mile range for a hunting vehicle is not considered a "severe range limitation." Every single buggie I have sold (over 200) the very first thing the customer has asked is "How far will it go on a charge?" I have never overstated the capabilities of a Bad Boy just to make a sale. I've never had to.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Reminds me of the ol' Terminator quote...a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. Sorry. Just did. I am seriously considering a BBB and range really didn't enter into my mind. Going through PA snows, hauling a few friends, and a deer or two in tow, a few miles from the truck was in my mind. I don't think it would have too much of a problem with that, or would it?

Quick Reply: Just bought the Bad Boy Buggie: My review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.