Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Under Armour Vs Base Slayers HELP >

Under Armour Vs Base Slayers HELP

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Under Armour Vs Base Slayers HELP

Old 09-17-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Under Armour Vs Base Slayers HELP

Hello,
I'm looking to get a set of compression under layers for WI whitetail hunting. A few questions...

What are the benefits of a compression fit item vs a normal fit item?
-moisture wicking?
-reduces muscle fatigue?
-etc... (anything else?)

Also. I am unsure which way to go, Under Armour or Base Slayers, or other for that mattter. Any suggestions? I like the scentlok on the base slayers but the UA has the anti-bacterial deal. Hmmm. I will have scentlok / scent blocker outer layers anyway. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:51 PM

Default RE: Under Armour Vs Base Slayers HELP

welcome to the forums.

I have used Under Armour for several years now, I use it at work, under my body armor and uniform and while hunting. The Cold gear is unmatched for comfort and warmth while doing various activities and sitting still.
The heat gear shirts are great also in wicking moisture and keeping you comfortable while its warm.

Due to recent tests by independent companies, the government, and several days of reading this research myself,I have completely sworn off anything with Scent-lok orScent Blockerin it. Scent-lok/Scent BlockerIn my opinion, is a total farce. It has been proven that the idea of scent-lok (activated carbon, charcoal etc.) cannot do what it claims that it can.

I personally dont use the compression stuff for hunting early season, simply b/c here in TN its not really needed. Unless its cold and then I use compression fit mid weight thermalslayered w/ fleece and its works great and keeps me comfortable.

If you're already using the scentlok/scent blocker outers then the base slayers from scentlok are probably going to be uncomfortable and not allow much breathability.

For a comfortable base I go w/ Under Armour.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM

Thank you for the info. Do you have any links or other info about that whole scentlok farse thing? I have never heard of that. That would be excellent. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM

http://www.outdoorscentral.com/artman/publish/article_169.shtml

http://www.activated-carbon.com/carbon.html Info in general about activated carbon

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits_deuce.htm
Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

You cant go wrong with UnderArmour.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 PM

Give me wool over under armor anyday. I'm not saying there is wrong with u.a. I own a few garments from them. Honestly, I think it's fine if you like feeling like a bitch wouldwearing silk garments while hunting. The price vs. wool is a no brainer. When you can buy head to toe complete coverage with wool for the price of one u.a. mock turtle.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Yup. I can't think of a product (Scent-Loc) that has been more hyped and is totally without merit. I personally like and use the "Smart Wool". Synthetics including Under Amour hold body odor. In other words they stink after a day's wear. And Smart Wool will keep you at least as warm.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Compression fit... makes you look like T.O. If you have my body that's not a good thing.
Scent Lok... over rated, non performing sales gimmick of the decade.

Buy yourself some reasonably priced nice wicking underwear and a couple different layer weights for thermal protection. You can get enought goodies to cover any climate conditions from HOT to Frigid for the same cost as one of these over hyped Scent Elimination garments that are at best only helpful somewhat for a year if you hunt much.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Throw a vote in for any of the X-static silver lined outfits. I have a set from Cabelas and a set I purchased from one of the local distributors. Both seem to work quite well at helping to retard odor from the start. Plus both are excellent at regulating body temperature in almost any weather condition.

Plus they feel darn silky too.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 PM

The only problem with UA is during early season, if you work up a sweat. Yes, UA wicks it from your body! But, were do all those chemicals go? The moister evaporates and all the odors are trapped in the clothing!!!If I or others can smellmy clothing from4' away after working out, you can bet "Bucky" or "Bullwinkle" can to.And this is not after a night of Asian, Indian or Italian food! I found the best way to test products that work best for me are to wear them while you are working out and that will at least provide ou with a baseline.

I would recommend something that has silver in it and wicks away moisture. The silver helps nuetralize odors. I like the Cabela's MTP Compression Skinz Tech-Weight line.

BSLugnut

Quick Reply: Under Armour Vs Base Slayers HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.