Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS: Garmin vs. Lowrance

Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: GPS: Garmin vs. Lowrance

I reasearch a lot before I bought my Lowrance Expedition C. It's the same as the Hunt C, but cheaper. The only thing is you do not get the camo. Istill have icons for tree stands and such, and you can name them anything.
just so you know, as far as traveling in the truck, you will not get a "turn-by-turn" navigation from it. i keep mine in the truck all the time, and it helps a bunch, but when you do a search and travel to that location, it just shows a 'as the crow flies" line rather than turn by turn. I have not had any issues with reception, but I did put an external antenna ($15) right when I got it. I got mine with the Mapcreate 7 software also. You can put the entire US on an SD card to have in it all the time. I also went with Lowrance because of the lakes information. They have included a bunch of topo info for many local lakes for fishing.
Good Luck
Dandbuck
Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

This is a common question so here is a clip and paste response I offered some time ago.
After many years and numerous units tried maybe this info will help?
First decide what features are most important. Signal reception, electronic compass, topo maps, color, etc...
Not to bash anyone else's gear but Garmin tends to lead the pack with Delorme running a darn close second. The other brands consistently fall short withreviews. note: Lowrance has received low marks with regard to power consumption and signal lock. Most all units offer specialized iconsto include downloadable personalized icons.

If reception is your #1 concern, as with most who go off the beaten path, in deep valleys, or heavy cover the Garmins with a "H" are a must. They consistently rate top in this area.

Next you need to decide which features you want and or how much you want or don't want to spend?
The Garmin 60 series not only has a highly sensative chip set but also will hold a signal regardless of what position you hold it in. Hence the antenna sticking up. This is important is you want to maintain your signal while it is in a pocket or pack. Units with the antenna mounted flat on the face prefer to be held horizontal. Throw it in a pocket and you will typically lose the signal. Most hunters have their hands already full so the ability to drop the unitin a pocket yet continue to track tends to be important.

Other features? Topo maps are proprietary. So if you buy Garmin you will also have to buy Mapsource topos if you want detail. It comes with a basic base map but it's not much to it. Mapsource will kick it up to 1;100 scale. The Nat Parks mapsource will give you 1;24k scale.
Here is where Delorme PN-20 or PN-40 is kicking their butts. The PN-20/40 comes with topo software and it is 1;24k scale. The PN also has aerial photo overlay and comes with great software. Typically PN20 is cheaper than the higher end Garmins whitle the 40 runs about the same. But the PN prefers to be held horizontal.

The electronic compass? Pn-20 does not offer it the 40 does. The Garmins with a "X" have it. Some folks say it's not needed. However consider this. An electronic compass provides a correct direction while standing still and it sure is nice knowing from the first step that you are headed in the right direction. Finding out that you were suppose to be going the other way after climbing through 100 yards of thicket sucks. Units without an electronic compass can and will do this to you every now and then.

Color screen? Thats up to you and your eyes. Father time will help with this choice. What ever you do get the units in hand and figure out what works for you. Most folks find the color screens better, but thats no surprise I'm sure.

Battery life? This is where some of the other brands have issues. Delorme and Garmin have it figured out.

Customer Service? Both are Great!

Thats it in a nut shell. There is more info on the pros and cons of different topo software and smaller differences with units but generally speaking Garmin or Delorme will not let you down.

Back to cost. Yes the 60 will set you back a few hundred bucks. If you really don;t need the extras go with one of the H series Garmins and you will be fine.

For more info check out groundspeak.com or gpsreview.com Tons of stuff on these units can be found there.

Whatever you do once you have the unit, purchase a protective screen shield. Invisibleshield (on line) its great and will keep the screen looking like new forever.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. OH! If you haven't done it already go to the Garmin web site and you can compare their units and features side by side.. A big help when trying to sort out this stuff.

PS... I have the Garmin 60 CSx and have no regrets money well spent. If I were buying today I would have to take a close look at the
PN-40

Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your thinking about the 60CSx you should look into the 76CSx series as well. In using both the 76 locks onto sats faster, slightly better battery life. It also has double the internal memory(will accept a 2gb sd slot card for sure, the 60 my partner has will only take a 1gb). Plusmarine speced so it isfully waterproof and floats. When Ibought my 76CSx last fall it was 50 bucks cheaper plusincluded a waterproof case and 2gb card..being I used both prior it was a no brainer for me.

I load my 76CS via mapsource topo which works for off the trail and road travel as well. I won't say it's ascool as the wife's garmin road unit but it'll help get you where you want to go on or off road for sure.

I buy garmin b/cin all the models I've owned they never gave me a reason to switch.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Spike

I have a Garmin etrex legend and personally i wont buy a garmin again. It takes forever to aquire satelites and then looses signal all the time. My dad and brother inlaw both use older Lowrance global map gps and they never loose signals. So my next gps will be a Lowrance. And i did do the updates off the garmin website and it didn't help much if at all.