Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS

Old 04-06-2007, 11:56 AM

Default GPS

What is the best GPS to get. Are they aven worth the money that you pay for them. I was thinking of getting one but don't know what to get.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: GPS

I've got a Garmin E-Trex Legend. Paid $150 for it and love it. For another 150 you can get a whole bunch of topo downloads for it. It is a great unit, keeps a whole bunch of waypoints and trails. More than enough for the average outdoorsman. I hardly ever use my compass anymore (except for the time my batteries died, that's why I now carry spares).
Old 04-07-2007, 07:34 AM

I also have an etrex legend and I think its ok.
I use it for hunting and fishing and it works great for making waypoints and then finding that spot again later. But I bought the fishing hotspots software for $100 and the maps are real generic. I fish alot on Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota and the depths on my gps arent anywhere close to what it actually is. So basically all it does is gives you a real vague idea of what the structure is and the rest is up to you.
Which is why I am probably going to get a lowrance in a week or two. I know a few people who have a Lakemaster pro chip for their lowrance and they go to a spot where it says theres a small hump, or some sort of structure and sure enough there it is.

I'm not trying to bash Garmin or anything, they make some good products too.
It really comes down to what your going to use it for. And like with everything, you get what you paid for.

The best thing you could do is go talk to someone who sells them, tell them what you will use it for and look at all you different options, ask people that own different units what they think of them. And maybe go in the field with them and see for your self how well they work.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Go to a store and put them in your hand and buy the one you feel will be the easiest to use whether it is Garmin, Magellan or other brand. They are all good. Just make sure it has enough memory to download maps, that is a very, very, veryuseful feature.