Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Buddy Heaters

Old 01-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Buddy Heaters

I am really interested in getting one to use in my blind next season, but havea couple of questions for those already having them. Is there a big difference, in heat produced between the standard size and big buddy? How many hours does a tank last? Is $69 before tax sound like a decent price for the standard size? The big buddy was around $115. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buddy Heaters

Good question, I too have a blind, the tent kind with the zip down windows and find as I age it would be nice to have a heater. I briefly looked at some in Cabelas. The small one will take the small cans of fuel and maybe be upgraded to the 20# propane cylinder (i think). The big one I think can only be used with the 20# tank so portability would be a issue. I've been thinking of getting one too so it will be interesting to see the responses.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:18 PM

The Big Buddy can use the one pound cylinders too. Here's the link.

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=116
Old 01-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

I have two standard size Big Buddy heaters that I use in my Brickhouse blinds and they work fantastic. I only need it on the low setting during the coldest day and it keeps me very comfortable. I only go thru one tank a year in each blind but keep a second in the blind as a back up. You will not need to leave it on all the time as even on the low setting it will get too warm, I just leave iton the pilot setting and turn it up when I get chilled.
$70 is a good price.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Thanks Avalanche. I have a brickhouse blind as well, that I was looking to put a buddy heater in, so your feedback regarding its use in the blind and how long a tank lasts was right on the mark for me.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Bought one this year to take to Manitoba for the last hunt. Knew it was going to be cold so wanted to give one of the Buddy Heaters a try. The entire week I was there, the temperature averaged about 0F and was down to -20F on several morning with 25mph winds. All four of us used a Buddy Heater in out tent blinds and I am happy to say I am living proof they work...haha. It was oppressively cold and would have been impossible to sit more than 2-3 hours without a heater. I was able to sit very day, all day long. It was still cold, but the heater took the edge off from it. I bought a double for $99 at Maynards on sale but only used one canister. Didn't want to lug the extra weight and wanted the canister to last. I would only fire it up when I got really cold and a canister lasted me 2 1/2 days of using it sparingly.

Be forwarned to all who use these heaters, when it is extremely cold as it was in Manitoba, you need ot be careful with the liquid propane canisters. The valves seemed to freeze up at around -10F so don't leave one in your backpack or out in your blind overnight. The real problem is when you screw one on. The valve wouldn't seal and spewed liquid propane. Some of the liquid drizzled onto my glove and went through it severely burning my finger with extreme cold. I think when the propane is compressed and subjected to those temps that the temperature of the liquid is even colder than the air temperature. When it spewed, it could have easily hit me in the face etc. Would hate for soemthing like that to happen to one of you. And the pain associated with the burn was quite bad too.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

"""Be forwarned to all who use these heaters, when it is extremely cold as it was in Manitoba, you need ot be careful with the liquid propane canisters. The valves seemed to freeze up at around -10F so don't leave one in your backpack or out in your blind overnight. The real problem is when you screw one on. The valve wouldn't seal and spewed liquid propane. Some of the liquid drizzled onto my glove and went through it severely burning my finger with extreme cold. I think when the propane is compressed and subjected to those temps that the temperature of the liquid is even colder than the air temperature. When it spewed, it could have easily hit me in the face etc. Would hate for soemthing like that to happen to one of you. And the pain associated with the burn was quite bad too.""""

Jackson,
Excelent advise, I would also add that you need to make sure you have at least a couple of windows open for fear of carbon monoxide. I just leave the screen mesh in place and it's fine.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Spike

I have the little buddy and love it! Got it this time last year at Home Depot as they were clearing out stock for $37.00!!!

Start Looking for spring clearences NOW! The one I bought had a bad regulator on it. It was probably a return. The manufacture sent me a new one. WHAT A DEAL!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 04:00 PM

I have a little buddy I use it to heat a 4x8 box blind. I got it so my 5 year old son could hunt with me comfortably. Its great I put a little themometer in the blind and i can get it up to around 70 degrees inside while the outside temp. were in the low 30's plan on 1 bottle of gas a day on the low setting
Old 02-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the little buddy and use it in my fish trap pro while ice fishing for panfish. Even on low a 1 pound cannister won't quite last all day. If you turn it on for 1/2 hour and then off for 1/2 hour the shack still stays warm and the cannister lasts about all day (10 hours). The heater is real nice and always lights.

Quick Reply: Buddy Heaters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.