Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Under armor-is it worth the money >

Under armor-is it worth the money

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Under armor-is it worth the money

Old 12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: Under armor-is it worth the money

I bought some under armor socks this year and loved them. My feet did not get cold at all this year. I have never tried the upper body or lower body stuff.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I love the stuff! Actually, I only use the heat gear, since I sweat like a... a... well, a sweaty guy! I use it as work out gear, but it's always my base layer.

I'd say start with 1 piece, & see how it works for ya. That way, you're not out too much $$$.

FC
Old 12-14-2006, 11:48 AM

I can't speak personally on the stuff, but I noticed that Target carries a line of athletic gear from Champion called C9, which includes some cold weather base layers. They aren't scent controlling, but they are cheap ($13 for a long sleeve top), and I'm willing to bet almost as good as Under Armour. They don't have as much online as I saw in the store the other day.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: minnesotahunter

I can't speak personally on the stuff, but I noticed that Target carries a line of athletic gear from Champion called C9, which includes some cold weather base layers. They aren't scent controlling, but they are cheap ($13 for a long sleeve top), and I'm willing to bet almost as good as Under Armour. They don't have as much online as I saw in the store the other day.
I will definately have to ceck that out tomorrow. That would be a great deal. I will check them out tomorrow and report back to you guys
Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM

Let me know what you think!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

well i went and checked out the champion C9 gear today at target. The two stores around my house didnt have much of a selection. I bought a large and an extra large top. The large top fits well but the extra large I can barely get on. It actually hurts to wear it...it squeezes the crap out of me. Im not sure if its a defect or a junior size. The tags dont say. I am impressed by the stuff, It is extremely close to under armor but it only cost 16.99 for the tops. I was unable to find any bottoms and thier web site really sucks and dosent show any of the cold gear stuff. Im going to check out some of the other targets in the area and see if I can find some pants. I will give them a try this weekend and let you guys know how they work out.

minnesotahunterthanks for pointing me toward this stuff
Old 12-18-2006, 12:21 PM

It looks like (from Champion's website) that they also make DuoFold, which I've seen at Gander Mountain. I own a few tops and bottoms from them, and they seem to work well too (even though it's not the Under Armour material)
Old 12-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Typical Buck

Well I tried out the C9 cold gear from Champion today. It worked great as far as im concerned. It was anywhere from 35-44 degrees today with a 15-25 mph wind and it seemed to do the trick. I was out there from 6 am to 6 pm and the cold never bothered me. I hiked about 3 miles and sat the rest of the time and I never felt wet. Thats what impressed me. I know you northern guys can really put this stuff to a real test. But as far as Oklahoma goes, it gets my seal of approval!
Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 AM

I've got the coldgear, duofold, mountain hardwear as well as some natural products. I really like the synthetics as a base layer and believe that you should buy what you can afford. I really like the coldgear, but also really like the duofold. The mountain hardwear is nice, but even more expensive than the under armour. If I hadn't received it as a gift, I probably wouldn't have bought it. The only natural product that I like is Merino wool. It works as well as the synthetics and is a natural product that may appeal to some people. In this form, I can recommend the undergarments from Filson and Icebreaker. The biggest issue that I have with the underarmour is the fact that when you put it on you look like a stuffed sausage. In my case I look like an overstuffed sausage...a way overstuffed sausage.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Spike

Under Armour made a believer out of me!! It fits very tight to your skin like spandex & wicks moisture away from your skin.I then cover up with some Patagonia fleece.This product works and I would rather be a little poorer than freezing my butt off.