HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Rocky Boots w/GoreTex, Please Respond (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/16485-rocky-boots-w-goretex-please-respond.html)

razorhunter 11-18-2002 07:13 PM

Rocky Boots w/GoreTex, Please Respond

I ordered a pair of Rocky BearStalker boots with 800grams of Thinsulate and GoreTex w/Scent Suppresscent last year. Until recently, I had been Extremely pleased with them until I was walking through a mud puddle last night and all of the sudden my feet were soaked. Both feet. I am SURE that there are no puncture holes anywhere in the boots, and water DID NOT come in from the top of the boots. It was only a couple inches of water. I could not believe it, so that evening I dried them completely out, thinking maybe I somehow splashed water up into my boots. I then took them back out, and stood in the same puddle, and my socks started to soak through again.
I paid well over $100 for these boots, and can't see how this happened. I have many friends who have had their Rocky's for 5-6 years with no leaks. Anyone else had this problem? Anyone think Rocky Boot Co. will help me. Of course, I don't have a receipt for the boots anymore. They don't make the BearStalkers anymore either. Please tell me how this is possible.

The Mouse 11-18-2002 08:57 PM

RE: Rocky Boots w/GoreTex, Please Respond

As I understand it, most boots that use GoreTex liners (it is actually like an inner sock within the boot) can eventually develop leaks. The GoreTex liner can wear out with time and use just like a regular pair of socks will eventually get holes in them. Leaks develop quicker if dirt, sand or other abrasive materials get inside the boot and abrade the liner.

I have had GoreTex boots develop leaks right around the spot wear the boot bends just behind the toes. But this has taken several years of hard wear. One year of light use should not cause the boot to fail and leak. If you wear these boots everyday and have walked miles and miles then perhaps you have worn them out.

I would write to Rocky and explain your circumstance and let us know what they did about it. Good luck.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001

Ballistictip 11-19-2002 11:49 AM

I've got 3 pairs of Rocky's and never had a leak. One pair is 8 years old with no telling how many miles. Just a thought, make sure you keep your toenails clipped. Like Mouse said, the lining of the boot keeps the water out. If you cut through the liner (long, sharp toenails) it will leak.

razorhunter 11-19-2002 12:37 PM

My toenails couldn't possibly have been the culprit. I do understand how some guys nails could though!!!
I have never put these boots to any real rough use, and they don't have many miles on them at all. I hope Rocky will help me. I don't have the money for another pair, but honestly I can't see Rocky replacing them. I will give them a try though.

JPS 11-19-2002 12:59 PM

Razor,I had the same problem with a pair of rockys.They are in their second season of hunting and both boots leak.I paid $190 for them and rocky says they are out of warranty there is nothing they can do.

lrch 11-19-2002 05:41 PM

My problem with rocky boots is they are to tight getting on. After they are on they fit real good and no leaks but it is a bugger getting them on. Razor i hope they make good on your problem.

larry

skeeter 7MM 11-26-2002 03:01 PM

Irch, me too. Have a pair of bearclaw II's (4th year), great warm boots but putting them on I darn near have to be naked without working up a sweat. Leaks though...uhuh.

I would get a hold of them asap, they should have a 1 year min. warranty against these things...Hope you have warranty b/c nothing you can do to stop the leak.

BeltedMag 12-07-2002 08:35 AM

Im sure Rocky will help you they seem to really stand behind their products. Im on my second pair of Bear Claws and love them to death. The last pair i had got completely wore out. Ive had a problem with my ankles since i was a little kid, i tend to roll my ankles when i walk, whick puts a ton of ware on the insides of my boots. My last pair eventually busted at the seams on the insides and almost fell in too but they didnt leak. I mean the soles were hanging off on the whole side and i could still cross a stream dry. That really convinced me. I have heard good stories about rockies waranties so im sure you will have no problem.

Deleted User 12-12-2002 12:06 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

huntforlife 01-01-2003 04:01 PM

i used to love rockys until my last two pairs ( i bought a second because i thought the first failure was a fluke ) both of them leaked and the soles wore off one of them i one season sent it back to rocky almost 5 months ago and still have not got them back must be the china takeover everyone is talking about i bought a pair of cabela's hunting boots as a tempory replacement just for this season $69 1200 grams it rained the night before opening day of gun season the creeks were overflowing walked in way before sunrise right into ankle deep water that should not have been there walked through 5 creeks to get the buck my buddy shot out that morning used them all season in rain and snow my feet stayed warm and dry i just might ride them out a few seasons and see how long they last even though i already got my money's worth