Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need a GOOD GPS....now

Old 10-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need a GOOD GPS....now

I was moose hunting today (New Hampshire) and in the thick stuff searching around the boogs and my GPS just will not hold a signal!
I am on my 3rd GPS unit and today I finally said this one has got to go. I hunt thick stuff most of the time and I need a GPS that can get a signal. I can not even place mine in my upper pocket and it will lose it's signal.It would be nice to leave it on and show me the exact track of where I have been then come home and put it on the Topo in the computer, but NO!!!
I have had a Magellan (older model) then a newer Magellan .Now I have a Garmin 72 >>>real easy to use but just cant keep a signal. Anyone use theirs in thick stuff and will hold a signal? Who has the best antenna??
Thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a GOOD GPS....now

get this one or the 520:

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmr530.htm

Same as the military uses. Probably the best one out there

Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

In real thick stuff or in your pocket, all of them have a hard time keeping the signals going. Evenconnected toa separate antenna, they still have trouble if you have a lot of overhead trees and brush. It is not really the antenna that is the problem, it is the trees deflecting and blocking the signal from the satellites before it gets to the antenna. A bigger antenna won't fix that.

I've had the same problem with units that cost $40,000 as the hand-helds.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

How are you carrying your GPS? I had trouble with signal going in and out with my GPS clipped to my belt.
I now take and have a holster with a metal belt clip. I loop it through my baseball hat in the back.
It's not a fix all, but does hold signal better and have both my hands free.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: North Texan

In real thick stuff or in your pocket, all of them have a hard time keeping the signals going. Evenconnected toa separate antenna, they still have trouble if you have a lot of overhead trees and brush. It is not really the antenna that is the problem, it is the trees deflecting and blocking the signal from the satellites before it gets to the antenna. A bigger antenna won't fix that.

I've had the same problem with units that cost $40,000 as the hand-helds.
That's what I've found too
Old 10-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Problem with the 520 or 530 is that they are also a walkie talkie. Illegal in NH when your hunting Moose and may become illegal hunting period. They (fish & game) don't want anyone possibly using an electronic device to set up drives. This means no cell phones in the field (for moose).
Most antennas I have been seeing are all the same Quad Helix receiving antenna.
I guess I have to wait until they start making better antennas
Thanks for the help
Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 AM

look atthe Garmin GPSMAP 60 series. I want the csx. they have the same antenna as the rino but but no walkie-talkie. it says on their website that they can be used in your pack.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like you are trying to keep it running while you are walking and hunting. I only use mine when I am looking to lock in a waypoint or see where I am in relation to a point. I usually don't have any trouble getting it to sync in and I often hunt Vt, NH, Maine and NY. I have a Garmin Vista with topo maps loaded.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a unit which will acquire the best in the think stuff, use an "x" model, like the 76Cx, 76CSx, 60Cx, 60CSx. These units have an SIRF chipset which is a higher sensitivity reciever that will penetrate heavy foliage better. Both also have quad helix antennas which will be more acceptable to the way it is held. Plus the rest of the features in the unit makes it the best for outdoor use as well.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: kshunter

If you want a unit which will acquire the best in the think stuff, use an "x" model, like the 76Cx, 76CSx, 60Cx, 60CSx. These units have an SIRF chipset which is a higher sensitivity reciever that will penetrate heavy foliage better. Both also have quad helix antennas which will be more acceptable to the way it is held. Plus the rest of the features in the unit makes it the best for outdoor use as well.
So what are your feelings on the60CSX? I've been looking into thembut it sure is expensive, but most of the time you get what you pay for, Right?