Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 what do you hate about all the new camo out there? >

what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

Old 10-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

SalCucco: while I don't heavily subscribe to camoflage being a dominant factor in hunting success, other factors being more important, I would like to suggest to you that mixing camo patterns is not a bad thing. Wouldn't mixing pattern 1 trousers with pattern 2 parka tend to break-up the continuity of the human form and make recognition more difficult? Mix and match at will: I don't think this will work less than dressing in matching camo tops/bottoms.

Relative to how I look sitting in the woods . . . where I deer hunt generally there are few people observing me, so even if I dressed like Austin Powers with that frilly cravat and lacy sleeve puffs no human being would likely be the wiser.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:16 AM

I will use whatever camo I have, can afford and whatever reasonably will help to break-up my appearance in multiple different places. Nothing will be universal and overall camoflaging, noise and movement discipline is even more important, in addition to scent control.
The Army went to the new digital/universal pattern/color in order to better fit multiple different regions, the hardwoods or europe and the desert. The BDU, battle dress uniform camo was ok, but not the greatest.
Also, there is a big difference if animals detecting humans, versus humans detecting humans. We are falable, and animals are much more acute to detecting irregularities and movement.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:19 AM

What I dislike is that Cabelas (where I have previously bought all of my camo because they have good quality and variety of clothing options) only sells these "popular" patterns. I willNOT be buying from them again unless they startcarrying Predator, Skyline, or some of the other patterns that are designed to break up my outline instead of look good at3 feet.

ThoseTV commercials with realtree and mossy oak really burn me up.It's all special lighting and camera angles to makethe person wearing their camodisappear. How hard is it to get these patterns to blend when you're using orange tinted lights from multiple angles so no shadows or outlines are created??
Old 10-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I hate that it's almost impossible to get what you want without them adding Scent Lok to it. It just adds another 50% to the cost. I refuse to buy it. Especially boots, backpacks etc. And now it's almost impossible to buy a back pack without a hydration kit or feature included. I don't need that, I have one but use bottled water. But PLEASE.... leave off the dang Scent Lok.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:39 PM

Personally, I think Mossy Oak's Forest Floor is the best ever made. When in the woods, it's important to look like whatever you are next to. For me, that's trees and the ground. That's why I like Forest Floor pants with MO BreakUp on top. If you sit near a tree which is wider than you, there's not much you need to worry about. Use you surroundings more than yourself, IMHO.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the movement, movement.Stink is right up there.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

the problem it that there is with camo is you have all these new camo patterns. some of them i like when hunting an animal that can see colors. but when hunting deer since they are color blind i don't see the use in going out each year envesting time and money in new camo. i see it as that camo is camo. back in the 1920 they really didn't have all this high defination camo and they kill just as many deer as we do this day in time

any but the way Mossy Oak is my favorite
Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 AM

Everyone needs to consider camouflage when they gear up for a hunt.

1. Don't think of it as wearing camouflage, but rather how you are or will be camouflaged. Just because you are wearing Mossy Oak camo, doesn't necessarily mean that you are well camouflage. MO and Realtree are generally really dark patterns thus creating a dark blobbing effect that all game can notice. A red plaid flannel shirt would probably work better because it would have a higher contrast between the red and black.

2. Contrast is key in camouflage! Many of the newer companys are creating camouflage that is far superior to the two big camo companies. Companies like ASAT, God's Country Camouflage and Skyline are all focused on high contrast and open areas to better break up the human form. Even the new brush patterns lack contrast. They are completely light, creating a light blob instead of a dark blob.

3. Most companies do get hung up on shelf appeal. Just because it looks good on a shelf or to the human eye, doesn't mean it will function properly when pursuing game. Most companies use too much green. Deer see in a Dichromatic spectrum and lack the Red color rod in their eye that humans have. So, just about everything deer see is already greenish-blue. Of course other game see very differently.

No matter what you are wearing, whether it be a Mossy Oak Leafy suit or a plaid tuxedo, as long as you have contrast, you will be fine.

Sorry for the rant.

RST2
Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate it when the camo pattern on my pants doesnt match my jacket, all the guys at the gunshop just point and laugh at me.

I imagine more deer have been killed by someone wearing blue jeans then anything.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

I like the the fact there are more camo to choose from. I especially like the "Natural Gear" patterns for where I live. "Mossey Oak" and like patternsare problemlysuited for hunting back east but it is too dark and too green for fall and winter in Colorado.

Quick Reply: what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.