Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scents??

Old 09-02-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Scents??

Kind of a generic question, but I wanted to get a read from the members on preferred scents whether it be cover or luring. What is the concensous on attractents? Do any of you use scent bombs? And what about drag combinations?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:20 AM

Default RE: Scents??

what I have found is that the key is to use the right scent at the right time. By that I mean don't put out estrus scent 2 months before the rut. I've done this before and actually spooked the deer.when it comes to brands I'm sure everyone has one that they prefer, but I think most will do the same as others. I personally don't like to use cover scents, I'd rather they didn't smell anything.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Make your own! You can use smashed Persimmons,Apples or Crab Apples in nylon stockings hung around your shooting zone!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer Dander and Fresh Earth , they act as cover scents and seem to be attractants as well .
Old 09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

scents pay off .....drag lines are a nice touch
Old 09-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I like the Dirt Waffers as a cover. I am thinking about trying PR Original Indian Buck lure.

TP
Old 09-10-2006, 04:58 PM

i use fresh earth, cover scent..

spray on clothes and put into plastic bag..

Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Spike

My buddy swears by deer dander, he uses it as cover, this past Saturday in Jerse he sweated up a storm walking to his stand half hr later 4 bucks 3 does came walking in on his trail, he took a doe.

I like fresh earth as cover,

buck lure early in season
then buck and doe lure later on.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:28 AM

Thanks for the posts. I've been trying different combinations trying to find one to settle on given the time during the season. So far, I'm liking the Code 3 Estrous on a drag. I use rubber boots and I spray down fresh earth (the name escapes me). I've also tried the fresh earth waffers, but I don't know if they help. So far, I haven't found any consistent combinations. I believe there is something that I'm missing, though.

Any scoop on body or laundry soaps?

Just as a side note, I discovered a neat little trick using small tampons. (lol I'll try anything, but it did get my brother's last hanger) There's a preattached string to tie off on a rig (pretied sting with loops already set to your liking) and it's disposable which takes away the concern of packages and storage with other items and such. Dip it in a Code 3 bottle, and your off. I tried the commercial tandem drags last year, but they ended up being a mess.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:09 PM

Right now I'm just using an apple scent and I've drawn in two does to an apple tree that has no apples this year. During the rut a couple of years ago, I was nearly run over by a buck just minutes after squirting some doe-in-heat urine on the tree behind me.

Quick Reply: Scents??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.