Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Two-way Radio's

Old 08-27-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Two-way Radio's

Planning on purchasing new radio's for hunting. Can anyone offer experience with FRS/GMRS units wattage, noise,and range?I'm considering a Midland GXT 600.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two-way Radio's

I purchased the 550 Midland GXTand really like their performance and reliablility. The 600 series should be evenmore powerful.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Sniper.Can you estimate how far, in the woods, you were able to get outof the Midland's? Any noiseor excessive squelching?
My older Motorola's made noise when paired with other brands.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our group uses the Motorolla's. Let's put it this way, anytime your behind a hill or ina ravine, they don't work!! Unless your in a direct line like the crow flies, and nothing large between you, they work fine for up to the milage they are rated for. Truthfully, I've been very disappointed with these radios. Got to the point that I leave them at home!!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like Motorola Sport 10 X radios,they stoped makeing them a few years ago that I paid around $200 for them!!. I have 2 "new" Motorola's that "SUCK" compaired to the older model's...[:'(]
Old 08-31-2006, 04:44 AM
Spike

Motorolas didn't work during the rescue efforts of 9/11, and they don't work now. Go with the Midland GXT - far superior.

Joe
Old 08-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I prefer the Motorola models based on features and quality but none of the various brands of FRS/GMRS radios work exceptionally well for long distance communication if you are trying to transmit through trees or from one valley to the next. That is the draw back to UHF radio waves. They just don't pass well through solid objects. There was a forum I once frequented www.popularwireless that had some great posts about the various GMRS hybrid radios currently on the market.

I am still using the now discontinued Motorola T6400 and T7200 along with some fairly commercial grade Pryme units.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:12 PM

Probably the the best radio you can get is the uniden handheld marine radio. They are about $89 dollars for one but you can talk for miles. You also need to make sure you are able to use them wherever you are. I everyone got one you can not beat them.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I just bought a pair of Midland GXT 650's off of E-bay
I had a pair of GXT 400's that I was pretty happy with, until my son lost one playing paintball with his buddies.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

JT: You will have no problem with noise.There are numerous call features you can setand a quiet mode with no noise or signal for the hunting situation. I would suggest the optional headset with mic for hunting.Last years bear season was the first I used the radios for longdistance. We had 5 hunters with Midland's in upstate Pa. and never lost contact with anyone in our hunting party. I would guess the average distance was around 1 to 2 miles.

Quick Reply: Two-way Radio's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.