HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   night vision question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/142603-night-vision-question.html)

jimmy the foot 05-15-2006 07:46 PM

night vision question

looking to get a NV monocular for yote hunting and photography
have looked at both gen 2 and gen 3 types
do any of you use NV?
if you do give me some pointers
right now i'm kind of eyed it down to ITT or ATN scopes

DougMD 05-16-2006 10:31 AM

RE: night vision question

I have a night vision monocular,generation 2. It is cool for seeing stuff in the darkwithin about 20/30 yards, and out to 50 or so if it is on the edge of dark, where it is too dark to see with the naked eye.

newman1 05-16-2006 12:57 PM

I have a Night Owl Gen2 monocular that works pretty cool.I like to use it best when the moon is out real good. When i get into standand get settled in i pull it out and can see about 75 yards.When it is real dark out i hit the infrared illuminator button and can see ok,but that is really effective when walking in a dark house,or trying to find something in the complete dark if you don't have a flashlight.

Dave at Work 05-17-2006 06:03 AM

Does the infared light spook the deer when you are using it in your treestand? Can the deer see the infrared light?

kshunter 05-17-2006 09:01 AM

I've test a lot of different NV scopes and Bino's. One thing about night vision to to spend a lot of money and get something good. Otherwise you'll always be wishing you had something better.IMO, that rule is muchmore important with NV, than any other optical equipment.

newman1 05-17-2006 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: kshunter

I've test a lot of different NV scopes and Bino's. One thing about night vision to to spend a lot of money and get something good. Otherwise you'll always be wishing you had something better.IMO, that rule is muchmore important with NV, than any other optical equipment.
I agree to some extent,but for the $250.00 mine cost it works more than good enough for what i wanted it for.I basically only use it to look around when i hear movement in the dark and to see if there are any deer around when i wanna climb down in the evening.

DougMD 05-19-2006 02:00 PM

The light does not spook deer. It really is great for when you are settled into your stand well before light and have deer nearby. Also, many bigger bucks will be more likely to move before light than after, so it might be the only chance to see them.

jimmy the foot 06-07-2006 08:29 AM

thanks for the opinions boys
good luck to all this coming season
hope everyone of ya bags a monster