Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Nikon Monarch Binos

Old 03-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Nikon Monarch Binos

Anyone use the new ones...I'm looking at the 10 or 12X43?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nikon Monarch Binos

The newest versions, those with either 36 mm or 56 mm objective sizes have not hit any of the shelves yet. The latest I have heard is mid-May.

If you are referring to the 10x42 or 12x42, I have tried the former. I had a pair of black 10x42s about two years ago and they were optically excellent especially considering the price. Since then I have owned two more of the camo 10x42s and neither was close optically to the originals.

I have also owned an 8x42 version and it was the best optically in terms of brightness, field of view and ease of image. I would not hesitate to buy another one in that configuration but I am holding out for the 8x36.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

I was at Bass Pro Shops a couple of weeks ago looking at Binoculars and comparing NIkon to Leupold. There is no comparison in my opinion, Nikon has much better glass. OK now I was comparing the team realtree 10 x 36 with the monarch 10 x 36 might of been 8 x 36 on both pairs. To me there really was not tht much difference other than price. Maybe you guys could help me out. They are both fog/ water proof. Same FOV on both pairs.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

To me there really was not tht much difference other than price. Maybe you guys could help me out. They are both fog/ water proof. Same FOV on both pairs.
The Buckmaster/Sporter models are being somewhat phased out in favor of the new Monarch 36 mm models. The Monarchs have phase coated prisms while the Sporter/Buckmasters do not. Phase coating improves brightness, contrast and resolution to an extent. The Monarchs are also substantially lighter in weight.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

PA...so you are saying your older set are better than your newer one? I'm talking about the 42mm objective monarchs...I figured they would get better not worse.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think it was more of a case with product sample variation rather than older versus newer. You cannot expect the quality control with optics to be as high at the $300 price point as compared to $800 or $1000 bins.

My best advice is to try before you buy...if possible.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Ya I'm starting to look at different models but no one sells them in my city. I would have to order them and I wanted to get some comments. I'm actually heading to Cabelas next month so I should be able to try a variety at once. So did you pay way more for the first pair then the other ones?
Old 04-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JD IN ALBERTA

I'm actually heading to Cabelas next month
Which Cabela’s are you going to see?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm actually heading to Cabelas next month so I should be able to try a variety at once. So did you pay way more for the first pair then the other ones
No, not really. I think I paid right at $300 for the first pair and then around $280 for the camo versions a year later. They were on sale since they were new. Personally I think the Monarchs are one of the best values out there and I would not hesitate to buy another. In fact, I do plan on buying a pair of the 8x36 Monarchs as soon as they become available.

Good idea to go the Cabelas route as their return policy is superb. After you compare a few of the bins at the optics counter and you decide on one model then I would ask to actually look through the pair you are going to walk home with. Nothing is more frustrating than trying a "cherry" pair in the store and the walking home with another unit of the same model that isn't as good.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the tip...I didn't even really think of that. It would suck since I'm driving from Alberta to Utah!

Quick Reply: Nikon Monarch Binos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.