Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Anyone know about bivy sacks?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Anyone know about bivy sacks?

I remember reading something about eliminating condensation in a bivy by the placement of your sleeping pad. I forgot if it was supposed to be inside or outside of your bivy. If you are doing one, try the other. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone know about bivy sacks?

I'd kind of forgotten this thread. I've been using the bivy sack about every other weekend this spring, and kind of have it figured out.

What I've figured out is kind ofa bummer. The trick to avoiding condensation is to be cool and just slightly uncomfortable. If you get too toasty warm, you will create condensation.

The experts say to use the minimum temp. rating you can get away with, and recommend a synthetic, not a down, bag. Too bad I didn't find that info before I laid out all the moolah!

Anyway, it just doesn't seem very safe to me to try to go with the minimum bag you might need. Then what do you do when that once a decade storm rolls in?

I am now converting to an overhead tarp setup (10 x 8) with the bivy sack as a backup in case of driving rain. This combo is still much more packable than any tent. I've had good luck with this setup.