HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   I need a new spotting scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/137022-i-need-new-spotting-scope.html)

Greenbay 03-20-2006 07:36 AM

I need a new spotting scope

I am in need of a new spotting scope and I do not want to break my bank doing so. I was thinking of the Winchester scopes but will listen to any suggestions.

Jeff Ovington 03-20-2006 07:55 AM

RE: I need a new spotting scope

Bushnell Elite 15x45x60 is a very nice spotting scope for the money...

kevin1 03-20-2006 08:26 AM

There's one here for every need and price range:

Spotting scopes

Rebel Hog 03-20-2006 08:33 AM

GB, do you want it for hunting or just for the gun range?

Greenbay 03-22-2006 07:12 AM

For the range.

PABowhntr 03-22-2006 08:44 AM

The Winchester scopes aren't bad especially considering what you are planning on using it for. I had the 50 mm model for about a year before selling it to a buddy of mine. However, I also bought a BushnellUltraCompact for my wife's maternal grandfather and was very impressed with the optical quality for the size and price. It was very comparable to the $350 Nikon Earth and Sky 60 mm model that I had at the time. For $129 I think it is an excellent value for someone looking for a spotter either for the range or to tote around on hunts.

BARguy 03-23-2006 04:02 PM

Although I've been lurking here for quite awhile, I just registered today...Been putting it off because at my age & stage in life, I can hardly be classed as a "Fawn"! Whatever! If you want to take a chance on an old "newbie"...

In any event, I have a B&L #78-1600, 15 to 60 power, 60mm zoom 'scope you might be interested in. I'll take $125, + actual UPS for it. It was left to me & I've never used it.

It's in-the-box & appears unused. Also have tripod, which I assume is for this unit...it's boxed too. I'll throw that in with the deal.

If you have any interest let me know...If not, no harm/no foul!

Dick

okcmco 03-23-2006 07:18 PM

You can find a swift telemaster used on Ebay for aboutr 50-75 bucks. I believe they are made in Japan. the winchesters you mention are made in China. IMHO the swift's are an excellent bargain. Also look for a used Bausch & Lomb dicoverer on ebay. As far as new goes, check out the alpen outdoors 15-36x50. I think it is model 722. It was votedan outdoor life mag best buy in 2003. I believe it is about 120 bucks for the whole kit.
Make sure anything you get is at leasted coated optics. You probably don't need waterproof at the range. I have an old swift with separate eyepieces instead of one zoom eyepiece. I paid 90 bucks and it is a great old (albeit heavey and ugly) scope.
Good luck

bowtech die hard 04-03-2006 09:40 AM

I would check into Wind River, they're owned by leupold.

smokechaser 04-18-2006 10:48 PM

i have a leupold wind river 15-45 X60mm scope and it is very durable and a really great scope for the money. I bought mine a few years back but i think they still run around 300 bucks.