Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Difference in Upland and Hunting Boots? >

Difference in Upland and Hunting Boots?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Difference in Upland and Hunting Boots?

Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Difference in Upland and Hunting Boots?

What's the main difference between upland boots and hunting boots? Is it just that uplands are constructed to be lighter weight?

With that said, what would you recommend for general purpose in the field for a combo of big game hunting and bird hunting? Keep in mind that I'm in the warm stateof Texas. My budget will allow me a maximum of$125.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 AM

Default RE: Difference in Upland and Hunting Boots?

I think you've figured out the main point, and that's weight. 'Upland' boots tend to be lighter as well as not have as agressive a sole. That's not a hard and fast rule, but I think it's the general idea. I'm sold on Cabelas boots. I have found them to be first rate quality and they have a terrific return policy. You might look at their kangaroo boot with 400 graminsulation if you don't need a real warm boot. I bought a pairand wear them for everything from pheasant hunting to elk hunting (when it's warmer). They'reGoreTex too so they keep you dry. Just my $.02
Old 03-08-2006, 11:49 AM

I agree with upland boots generally being "normal" hunting boots with a less agressive sole and lighter weight. Although I have never owned Cabelas boots, I have heard good things about them. I have (2) other suggestions. First is the LL Bean, I call them, "Duck boots". They have the rubber bottoms and leather upper. I wore these for years and really liked them. They are comfortable, waterproof and very cost effective. The second is a pair of Danners. I know, they are way more than $125, but I was able to find a pair of their Foothills at an outlet store for $140. I really like these boots and will certainly buy another pair when the time comes. Granted, this wasa lucky break, but the point is to shop while time is still on your side.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

You have been given two good suggestions for boots. I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns(uninsulated) and they are a well made light, waterproof boot. I took a look at the Cabela's Kangaroo model and liked them as well and will be getting a pair of the insulated model for next winter.