HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Got a good GPS?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/133031-got-good-gps.html)

tkms002 02-14-2006 08:09 PM

Got a good GPS??

If you use a GPS for hunting and realy like it, what is it? What is best about it? What is worst about it?
I'm looking to buy a GPS for some remote areas. A good usable color mapper. If you have experience with such a unit, please post a response.
If you can give mea web site with good info, post that also.
Thanks
Bruce

Ripstop 02-14-2006 09:39 PM

RE: Got a good GPS??

I use a Garmin Vista.Small, good reception in all areas I have been, seems easy on batteries, has a compass that doesn't require you to be moving to take a direction reading (leaving this feature on will eat batteries). Not color.

Still doesn't replace a good topo and compass, just more convienent.

LeeinVa1 02-15-2006 11:22 PM

I have several gps units, been using them for years. right how i am using the magellan eXplorist 300 as my main unit. No color map, but you will find most of the maps on any of the units are not that good anyways. I use mine in conjunction with topo maps that i print out using a program from maptech.com. I put the unit on UTM, NAD 27 and print the maps out in the same format with grid square showing on the map.you can forget about trying to find yourself with degrees minutes and seconds, UTM is the way to go and it only takes the last five numbers of your location to find you on the map. anyways, new stuff is coming out each month, so just keep checking and you will find something you will like.

saltflat 02-16-2006 06:32 AM

I have a lowrance Ifinder hunt. It has got me to where I needed to go many times. I would caution you that there are ALOT of usable features on this gps. Dont get dicouraged if you get one and see that the instruction book is over 200 pages long. If you buy one buy it with the software. The software is great, very easy to load to the gps.

romanc333 02-17-2006 01:28 PM

I currently use a Garmin 60C because when i was guiding in the alaskan wilderness there wasnt any room for error. It has the color screen and was ok on battery life (about 8 solid hours of constant button pushing) It has a fantastic zoom option that allows you to see terrain and water obstacles. It was easy and fun to use and was 100% waterproof it even floats which i unfortunately tested on accident. The only unattractive feature on this unit is the price. I bought it 3 years ago and still works wonderfully. The software is Mapsource and it easily uploads maps and stores alot of info. Hope this helps.

Steve

snibbcc 02-20-2006 12:09 PM

i bought a garmin 60cs wheni was deployed. awesome investment. color screen, good mapsets, accurate and portable. now i use it at home geocaching, hiking, or taking roadtrips. i bought the cigarrete ligheter power thing so now i can run it all the time in the truck. they make an external attachment for vechicles but i get just great sattelite reception when it sits in the cupholder.