Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

which rifle scope?

Old 01-11-2006, 11:01 AM

Default which rifle scope?

iam looking into getting a new rifle scope iam looking for the ones that have adjustments for longer shots do u guys know any that would be a good choice for a reasonable price?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: which rifle scope?

Stick with a reputable brand, such as Nikons and Leupolds. They aren't the cheapest scopes you can buy, but if you ever been afield with a cheap scope, you'll never make that mistake again.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

Look at a Shepherd scope www.shepherdscopes.com I bought one many years ago. I love them so much that I am slowly converting every one of my scopes over to the Shepherd. I love the one shot zeroing. And believe me when I say "it works". It is unlike anything I have ever used. For longer distances, you simply drop down to the appropriate circle and it is right in there. Out to 1000 yards. Like I could hit anything at 600 much less 1000...haha...but I have heard of guys who have dropped deer and elk at 500-600 yards. Now this scope may not be perfect for competition, but for hunting, I am sold!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

You said reasonable which is different with everyone. I would suggest looking at the Burris FFII with Ball. Plex. Reticle for the mid range bracket. The scope compares well with the likes of a Bushnell Elite 3200 but has the BP to help aid in range shooting vs hold over of a standard duplex. Which I assume is what your considering.

If youwant togo up from this price point the Leupold VXIII with B&C Reticle or the Khales American Hunter with BP Reticle would be a good step up in optical performance. However with that gainup goes the price!

I am sure their are more BP reticles offered but these ones are the only ones I have actually peered through. I personally don't use BP reticles.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 scopes that fit this bill. I have the Bushnell Trophy 6-18 x 40 mm that has worked well for a good price and I also have the Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 x 40 mm that is an excellent choice for a reasonable price. There are a number of other brands that would work well as mentioned from other members. It’s just a matter of going out and taking a peek at them if you have that option. Since you’re located in BC check with The Italian Sporting Good Store and talk to Joe. I have dealt with them over the phone and they have given me excellent service. Good luck...
Old 01-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Go with a Leupold...from my experiences, you can't beat them for the money. You're better off going with a large reputable company as opposed to a mom & pop operation...
Old 01-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I had a Leupold. Bought it on the reputation. Over time my gun's accuraccy declined, also the scope would be off every fall when I checked the zero. I took it back to LL Beans. They told me it couldn't be the Leupold. They remounted the rings and scope. I sighted it in again. checked half way through rifle season and the scope was over an inch off. This year I took it back and got the same line. They blamed the rifle, me everything but the scope. I finally got one of the salesmen to honor their satisfaction gaurentee. I switched to a Nikon. My groups tightened right back up to around an inch. The rifle stayed true all rifle season. As a bonus I like the clarity of the glass better, the variable ring, and the focus adjustment. I would recomend the Nikon over the Leupold. Both were the same price, to the dollar, by the way.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

if the clarity on your nikon is better i would love to see that. leupold all the way! an inch off can be attributed to something as little as a temperature change. if you site your rifle in during the summer it will more than likely be a little off and as much as inches off in the fall. something to do with powder and pressure differences due to temperature. also it might even be a bad scope but i would have leupold look at it to determine that. rings not propery installed dont help either. there are a few leupold type rings i dont like.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

if the clarity on your nikon is better i would love to see that. leupold all the way!
It’s to bad you’re not my neighbor because I would love to show you how much difference there is between my Nikon and my Leupold. Both scopes have 30 mm tube. The Leupold has a 50 mm obj. lens and the Nikon has a 42 mm obj. lens. The Nikon is definitely brighter without a doubt. Leupold puts out some good optics with excellent warranty but the Nikon wins in clarity and low light conditions...
Old 01-13-2006, 11:06 PM

my bushnell 420030mm is the brightest on the planet...and the clarity is like no other..the end.........

Quick Reply: which rifle scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.