HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Binos with glasses (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/123913-binos-glasses.html)

DannyD 12-06-2005 07:53 AM

Binos with glasses

Folks,
i really could use some help on finding a pair of binos that i can easily use with glasses.
I don't need a lot of power because I dont use them past 150 yards

When I have my glasses on I cant seem to get a good field of view. Take the glasses off and Man what a difference!

I don't know much about Binos so any advice willbe appreciated

PABowhntr 12-06-2005 10:11 AM

RE: Binos with glasses

Danny,

What you need to be mindful of when looking at different bins is their eye relief. Eye Relief is the distance behind the eyepiece lens that the image actually focuses at...it is typically measured in millimeters. I do not wear glasses but most of the folks I have spoken with that do and whouse binssuggest a binocular with at least 16 or 17 mm of eye relief in order to get the full field of view. Personally, because of my facial dimensions I actually prefer bins with eye relief of at least 18 mm and 20 mm is even better.

If the eye relief info is not in the item description from wherever you are buying it from then you can probably find it on the company's website. I do not know what price range or style of bin you are looking for but if I had to suggest one with much eye relief and in a modest price range then it would be the Nikon Sporters....specifically the 8x36. Price is usually under $200 and the eye relief is somewhere between 18-20 mm.

Hope this helps.

DannyD 12-06-2005 10:37 AM

PA,

Perfect
I was not sure if binos had an "eye relief" like a scope does.
I appreciate your help and will look at that.
The ones I have now it seems like you have to have your eyeball against them to see properly

missed_another 12-06-2005 06:58 PM

most all reasonable priced binos have the rubber cups on the eye piece. these are designed to be rolled down for people with glasses or to be left up if you do not wear glasses. it's that simple.:)

keyshunter 12-07-2005 05:25 AM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Danny,

What you need to be mindful of when looking at different bins is their eye relief. Eye Relief is the distance behind the eyepiece lens that the image actually focuses at...it is typically measured in millimeters. I do not wear glasses but most of the folks I have spoken with that do and whouse binssuggest a binocular with at least 16 or 17 mm of eye relief in order to get the full field of view. Personally, because of my facial dimensions I actually prefer bins with eye relief of at least 18 mm and 20 mm is even better.

If the eye relief info is not in the item description from wherever you are buying it from then you can probably find it on the company's website. I do not know what price range or style of bin you are looking for but if I had to suggest one with much eye relief and in a modest price range then it would be the Nikon Sporters....specifically the 8x36. Price is usually under $200 and the eye relief is somewhere between 18-20 mm.

Hope this helps.
I agree. I have had a pair of Nikon Sporter 1 8x36for about 4 years. They are very nice for an inexpensive glass--good optics, light weight and compact.They have twist down eye cups, which are a big plus. Many binocs have fold down eye cups, which have a tendency to come unfolded at all the wrong times. I believe I paid about $130.

DannyD 12-07-2005 10:00 AM

I found out the eye relief for my current binos is 8mm. No wonder it's not working. They have the roll down cups but if the eye relief is only 8mm. and i wear glasses that are more than 8mm from my eye. Even if my glasses touched the lense they would not work properly

missed_another 12-07-2005 04:28 PM

boy i don't know dannyd. sounds like the brand you have are pretty much useless. what brand are they. i have been sticking with steiner lately.eye relief is greatwith my contacts or my glasses. i will try to find the box and see how much relief these have.

DannyD 12-07-2005 09:01 PM

They are from simmons. small compact type.
They are doing me no good whatsoever

okcmco 12-07-2005 10:14 PM

The swift audubon roof prism models are 8.5x44mm and have 19mm of eye relief. They are fully waterproof and dustproof with excellent optics and are only $349.99 at binoculars .com. The longest eye relief I can think of is the Zeiss DF 7x40 NVA east german millitary binocs. They have 23MM!!! Anyway I wear glasses and my optolyth Alpins do pretty well. Look for min of 17mm. 19 or 20 is better. Twist down or roll down eyecaps help
okcmco

missed_another 12-10-2005 08:42 AM

hay DannyD.....i found the box to my steiners. they have 20mm of eye relief. like i was saying before they work great with my contacts or with my glasses. i have been very happy with them. see ya