Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Why are Randall Made knives so expensive? >

Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

Randalls are not cheap and are somthing one usually gets as a great gift when young or somthing which success allows one to treat themselves to after the familys needs have been met when older. There are many cheaper and well made knives but those of es that like quality and who can afford it why not treat themselves to the best??
Old 12-10-2005, 07:41 AM
RPL

ORIGINAL: kinny

Could someone explain the rational for spending that much on a hunting knife. I wouldn't spend $50 on a kitchen knife that I might use 3-4 times per week, so I can't see the justification for spending $400 on a knife I might use once or twice per year. I think this money could be better spent on making you a better hunter with things like an ultra light portable tree stand to get you off the beaten path, or an ultra comfortable tree stand so you can sit all day, a superb pair of boots so you can be warm enough to sit all day, a few extra boxes of shells to burn at the gun range... "To each his own", and you all have the right to spend your money the way you wish but I am just wondering.
Is an expensive knife really necessary for field dressing game? No! But if someone enjoys owning and using a quality product like a Randall Knife, it's a non issue with me. Besides, most people that own a high end knife likily also own warm boots and other gear.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Spike

Bought mine 24 years ago andI can easily get 4x what I paid for it then. But that never figured intowhy I did buy a Randall. It was primarily I liked the looks, the construction, the forged ss bladeand it hadfeatures that I could not get from any production knife (compass,name etched on blade, etc). And, I had the resources to procure it.

The knives Iused at the time werebasically 'not cutting it'
(remember those Bucks that were impossible to re-sharpen?).

My Randallhas donewhat I wanted of itand more and it has given me years of pleasure.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:43 AM
Fork Horn

From what I have seen from randall knives due to my marital arts training in arnese these were the knives everyone wanted to use when carrying a knife! they are top grade and well worth the money!
Old 12-18-2005, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

scalpals aren't expensive because people have already figured out that it's not the instrument that makes a successful surgery, it's the doctor. one blade is as good as another (as long as it's sharp) in the right hands. however i prefer a Buck or a Kershaw
Old 12-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I have been using a CutCo Hunting Knifesince 1970!
Before that a Buck hunting Knife for 15 yrs!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:24 AM

I love Helle knives from Scandanavia. The triple laminated steel is just great for holding an edge and resharpens. The price is no more than buch or a Gerber, and the custom woods and antler make it pretty.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

You guy's ever hear of Grohman Custom Made Knives? JamesB put me on to these!

Grohmann Knives Limited

Old 12-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Randall’s are handcrafted quality knives. A knife like this is not the throw away versions available at most sporting goods and discount stores. They are made for a lifetime of use with the proper care. This is a knife that you can be proud to use and pass on to the next generation. It’s about like purchasing a Savage or H&R shotgun compared to Heim or Purdy firearm. The Savage will do just about everything the top shelf rifles will do, but on a rougher scale without all the polish and glitz. It basically boils down to what you want to pass down to your next generation. If you want to use a knife for a hammer or screw driver than a Randall is not for you. A Randall will be a keepsake, the lesser brands are disposables.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:03 AM

Here's why I have Randall knives. A few years ago (1968) just after entering the Army, I bought a Randall knife. At the time, Randall was a fairly small company, with a very big reputation for quality, especially among those of us who may need to do more than skin a deer. I carried mine through Infantry basic training, Airborne, Ranger and SFOC. I carried it in RVN and,by the timeI came home, the micarta handle had come a little loose, and the leather sheath was showing signs of wear. I sent the knife to Randall, asking him to repair the handle, fully expecting to pay for the repair. Not only did he replace the micarta with new, he refinished the knife to new condition and sent me a new sheath. I carried that knife for another 20 years, until I gave it to my son on the day I pinned his Ranger tab on him. He will some day give it to his son. That's why I love Randall knives.

Gerry

Quick Reply: Why are Randall Made knives so expensive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.