Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Repairing rubber boots?

Old 11-10-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Repairing rubber boots?

Have a tear in the side of my insulated camo rubber boots (cabelas brand) and now they leak. Does any one have an idea on a good way to patch the tear?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Repairing rubber boots?

Go get yourself a bicycle tire repair (patch) kit at the store. Follow the directions. Rubber patch and rubber cement. I don't think they come in camo, just black. Put the patch on the inside if the tear is located somewhere that itwon't bother your foot, then the camo pattern won't be compromised.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Go get yourself a bicycle tire repair (patch) kit at the store. Follow the directions. Rubber patch and rubber cement. I don't think they come in camo, just black. Put the patch on the inside if the tear is located somewhere that itwon't bother your foot, then the camo pattern won't be compromised.
I'd never put the patch on the inside -the water wouldseep through the crack and undermine the glue/rubber bond. Mabye it wouldn't make any difference, but it doesn't seem to be the right way to go to me. Maybe you could run a little siliconein the crack to seal it from the outside with the patch backing it up from the inside.

Silicone is good stuff.

What I've always done is just put the patch on the outside - how could a black patch compromise camo in any significant way? Use a green, brown or gray patchif you think that's a better color for your boots. Patch kits come in all of these colors.

I've sometimes used RTV silicone for as the cement for rubber patcheson boots and waders - it sometimes works better than the rubber cement that comes in patch kits. Perhaps because the rubber cement is designed for a specific type of rubber and the boots and waders are made out of a different type? I don't know why it sometimes works better, but I do know that rtv silicone will outlast the boot. Actually any silicone gluewould work, I think. It takes a while to set up compared to rubber/contact cement, so you have to make sure the patch stays in place and is pressed against the surface during that time.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:34 PM

yeah man stop being cheap buy a new pair... saves a lot of trouble
Old 11-10-2005, 10:32 PM

Superfly has good point. I've often regretted not replacing waders. It seems I'm always one trip too late[8D]
Old 11-11-2005, 06:23 AM

If it's not a large tear you could use Sportsmans Goop. It can be found most anywhere, and I've used it to sucessfully repair small holes in waders. If it's too large throw them away and replace them.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lowes sells a goop product in their paint department,works great![8D]
Old 11-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Shoe Gooo for boots and waders.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Spike

Default Advantage Products Corp. (TREDS Rubber Footwear)

TREDS Rubber Footwear is a family owned and run rubber overboot manufacturer. Rob Weber, the founder of TREDS Rubber Footwear realized that there was a need on the market for tougher, stronger, and more flexible overboots that would not tear, would be easy to get on and off, and would be comfortable. The imported brands were just too heavy and prone to puncturing and tearing.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have put a tube patch on my LaCross icemans because those sold today are out and out crap.

Cover the patch when it is fully dry with gorilla glue strong stuff.

If your worried about the camo pattern being messed up buy a new pair of boots. messed up camo may cost you that huge buck that saw the patch and spooked.

. Al

Quick Reply: Repairing rubber boots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.