Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Polaris atv's Good or ?

Old 10-31-2005, 09:50 PM

Default RE: Polaris atv's Good or ?

I have owned two Polaris machines. A 2000 325 magnum, and my new ride, the Sportsman 600 twin. The only problem I have had is with my 600 twin. It was a carb jet issue, but Polaris stepped up and fixed the problem. YOU CAN'T BEAT THE RIDE!!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

I went to school for this stuff and have been around the industry for a while. The shop i worked at was independent of any manufacturers so in that manner i am not biased. What i have noticed, is that the wrenches always groaned when they saw a polaris rollin' up the drive. They, just like victory's, are a pain to work on, cause you need your metric and standard wrenches. Who was the geinus that thought that one up? Next in my opinion, a work oreinted quad should not have independent suspension, as its load capacitys are less, and the machines lean to much in off cambers and rough terrain being taller to accomadat the extra components for independence. Diff locks are a must, so then the conture of the suspension is not as crucial. When the ride gets, rough, you should probably stand up and slow down. If you want to ride trails hard core, get a sport quad. If you want a plush ride, your either a puss or your casual trail riding, in which the polaris fits just fine. Auto trannys and pushbutton shifting are junk as well. To many extras for mud and brush to mess up. Plus with pushbutton shifting, you can't use your left hand to hold onto odd shaped cargo, you need it to shift. If you can't manage to manuver a "manual transmission" shifter with your foot, then you don't belong on any quad. Liquid cooling is for the birds, just more to go wrong(not to be confused with oil cooling). Large displacement quads also confuse me. Anything that can't be done on 450 cc quad, don't belong being done by a quad. I guess you could say that i'm a minimalist.
I think thats all i got right now.
but i do feel better.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

All kidding aside. What we all ride is great!! They are all making super machines at the moment.

About the previous post concerning "larger displacement engines and Radiators". A few people I know use their machines for making food plots for deer. The pieces of equipment that they have to drag behind their machines for prepping the soil, weigh quite a lot. Soan ATV with a larger motor works better in this senerio. Also, by dragging a discer, etc. behind your ATV, your moving at a very slow pace, hence "heating" yourengine up, and since your moving slowly, it doesn't get enough "air" flow to cool the engine. That's why radiators come in handy. I really believe that on "utility machines", the Auto trany is here to stay. Sure on some of those racing quads, a manual shifter would get the most out those engines, but for most of us, the Auto's are perfect. Using low range, it's quite amazing what your ATV can drag behind you. I have a "utility" machine, and use my machine mostly for getting firewood and hunting. I don't particualry abuseit, mainly becausethey cost to darn much toreplace.

Again, it's a personal choice as to what brand of machine you drive. Like I already mentioned, I have ridden many other makes,but I just prefer the ride of the Polaris.Are they the best? Don't know. But I do prefer their AWD feature and their suspension overother makes. But that's just me.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I personally prefer a solid rear axle on a work quad for the added stability when carrying loads over uneven terrain,although they certainly don't ride as smooth.Then again I prefer the hydrostatic transmission used on some of the hondas over any manual transmission.Hydrostatic transmissions have proven their durability on farm tractors for many years.However I do differentiate between a real automatic transmission and a belt drive which I will not own.I do not intentionally abuse my quad but it does get worked hard when I need to retrieve a moose or elk from a distant swamp or from the timber.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: maytom

All kidding aside. What we all ride is great!! They are all making super machines at the moment.

About the previous post concerning "larger displacement engines and Radiators". A few people I know use their machines for making food plots for deer. The pieces of equipment that they have to drag behind their machines for prepping the soil, weigh quite a lot. Soan ATV with a larger motor works better in this senerio. Also, by dragging a discer, etc. behind your ATV, your moving at a very slow pace, hence "heating" yourengine up, and since your moving slowly, it doesn't get enough "air" flow to cool the engine. That's why radiators come in handy. I really believe that on "utility machines", the Auto trany is here to stay. Sure on some of those racing quads, a manual shifter would get the most out those engines, but for most of us, the Auto's are perfect. Using low range, it's quite amazing what your ATV can drag behind you. I have a "utility" machine, and use my machine mostly for getting firewood and hunting. I don't particualry abuseit, mainly becausethey cost to darn much toreplace.

Again, it's a personal choice as to what brand of machine you drive. Like I already mentioned, I have ridden many other makes,but I just prefer the ride of the Polaris.Are they the best? Don't know. But I do prefer their AWD feature and their suspension overother makes. But that's just me.
Now I am glad i didnt respond to the idiot comment now.
I am not a fan of polaris (i think i have let that be known) but i have decided to let people decide for themselves. My buddy sitting over there wants to spend his money on one so be it. i'll bring a tow rope!!!!!!!

I bring one for my other buddy that has one. (I have had to use it)
Old 11-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

In all fairness, the newer Polaris' MAYBE a decent bike! I don't know, and NEVER will know! The older POS' was trash! Polaris DIDN"T care about their reputation, so they WILL NEVER get my money, because of their history! Honda, and a couple of others, on the other hand,have good reputations, and CONTINUINGLY great products! So why gamble?
My Honda Rancher will pull a fairly heavy trailer, with a box deer stand on it anywhere that you want to pull it! (I know that its probably not good fora bike, to overload it, but the point is, HONDA CAN TAKE IT, AND KEEP GOING!)
As for size, unless you are using the bike as farm equipment, a 350-450 is likely ALL you will ever need for hunting!
My only knock against my Rancher, is the electric shift, (my choice!) It's more of a hassle, (no free hand,)than a convenience!! (itHAS NOT broken, but will be more expensive to fix,IF it ever does!
Other than the electric shift, which was my choice, the only thing I'd like to see on my Honda is back-lit controls for easier riding at night!
As you've said, its each one's own money! For me, I'll stick with my Honda!With their reliability, I MIGHT buy ONE more bike in my lifetime!
I think I'll buy me a few more guns, and other toyswith the money I'll save!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do know in WV that Polaris sales are down 65% this year. I also know that one of the dealers around here that sells them wont even trade for them...none of the other Beckley dealers will put anything in thme on trade either. Some people like them, not me personally. I would have to say i fall under cabage's statements. Give me gears and solid rear axle.I do like fulltime 4wd though. I like my bikes as simple as I can get them so theres less to worry about. Im thinking that if I were to buy a new 4 wheeler now it would be a Foreman S or an Eiger. If I considered anything with a belt it would prob be a Kodiak but I probably would never buy a belt.

Im thinking my ol Kaw is gonna live longer than me anyways.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:23 PM

I did a search on ATV.TV website where they did a review of all the ATV's. The most convincing statement they made against Polaris was that "every manufacturer makes a better Sportsman than Polaris".

Old 11-06-2005, 07:20 PM

As my name says, I am HONDA all the way. I made the mystake of buying a 1999 sportsman 5oo and could not have had any more problems out of it. Everything broke and was replaced within 10 months including: engine(3 rebuilds), transmission(1 rebuild & 1 replace), radiator, water pump, & starter. After I sold it, I bought a 1999 Honda 4man and it was a tank. I put 4800 miles on it with no problems. I sold it a year ago and bought a Rincon and it is awesome. I have had no problems and is a joy to ride every time I get on it. I have to say go with HONDA>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>
Old 11-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got a 2005 Rancher 4X4. So far, so good. It's only a 350 but has plenty for what I need it for.

Quick Reply: Polaris atv's Good or ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.