Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

First ATV choice?

Old 10-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Spike

Default First ATV choice?

I'm about to purchase my first ATV. Have read a number of the threads here regarding what to get. My option right now is a 2006 Yamaha Kodiak 450 (Camo) or a 2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 (Green). Disregarding the price variance, which would you choose?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:22 PM

Default RE: First ATV choice?

KODIAK!!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just don't see the need for any quad larger than 500cc for hunting.I personally prefer the honda rubicon with it's hydrostatic transmission but given the choices you provide,I would go with the kodiak.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Honda 350. Smaller machine but geared for pulling and can outpull many larger ATVs. Have hauled bull moose out of swamps no problem. Electronic finger controlled transmission so no fumbling with your feet. An indestructable ATV that has been maintenance free since I bought it in 2001.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:11 PM

out of the 2 options get a kodiak they are graet machines i have a 2005 kodiak 450 its great, but i believe that your best bet would be a honda i have just always been partial to honda
Old 10-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Without a doubt, the Kodiak. It will do anything necessary 99% of the time and the 1% remaining? There's no saying a larger machine can accomplish that. (Excluding truck pull events of course)

The biggest drawback to the 500cc + machines is their sheer size. The large machines are a pain in the woods where the trails or access gets tight and you wind up having to back up a couple times to make corners.

Before you actually buy the Kodiak, get info on the +$69 getting either a Warn winch or snowplow. I bought a Bruin (camo) and got the plow. I plowed practically enough snow to pay for the thing outright.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Between those two ... I'd get the Yamaha. But I'm a Honda man, myself ...
Old 10-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kodiak, as mentioned the size can be a draw back for the larger cc'd machines and many will never harness the power to warrant the larger stature. I have had the chance to trial the 05' 450 Kodiak and well I must say it impressed me so much I deceided to purchase the bike. Last week we encountered a very wet moose hunting trip and it never let me down. In fact in more than one occasion the diff lock feature it had over the other 2 bikes on the trip proved valuable. In one such example we were dragging back a bull moose whole to camp, the original bike (manually 350) could not gain enough traction to pull the moose up the steep incline due to the limited slip diff. I hooked onto the moose and walked away with it by using my low range and diff lock. This is one thing I really like about the kodiak selectable between 2wd/4wd limited slip & Diff lock depending on the conditions. The other thing I have found is it has lots of grunt in low for heavy work and EBS is among the best in the industry...I hardly use the brakes. Ride and handling is great. Did take me awhile to get use to the IRS but I have found it stays well planted and improves the ride greatly over SRA. I haven't encountered any towing issues as a result of the IRS, have towed trailer weights above 1000lbs and dragged dead of pretty decent proportions.

Others I would consider are the Honda Rubicon or Honda Foreman.

Make sure you consider a 2500lb winch and look at putting on a set of good aftermarket tires in lieu of the factory(if you plan to go into rough terrain).

Best of luck
Old 10-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i saw a show on the dish the other night about the new bombardier. the inboard brakes and suspension really impressed me but i dont own an atv yet of my own. my buddies work just fine and are cheaper
Old 10-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Love my Kodiak 450 auto!!!

Quick Reply: First ATV choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.