HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   New Meopta binocs, and Cabela's New Euopean Binocs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/116511-new-meopta-binocs-cabelas-new-euopean-binocs.html)

okcmco 10-12-2005 04:51 PM

New Meopta binocs, and Cabela's New Euopean Binocs

Hi all. I am really into galss. I was at the Cabela's in Ft Worth last weekend. I was able to check out the new Meopta roff prism binocss in 8x42 and 10x42. WOW! Under a grand, made in czech repuclic and very nice. The view was refined and clear tot he edges. Ergonomics were good, and they were reasonably weighted. I could not find a thing wrong with them. Meopta has been making optics since the 30's and were controlled by the Nazis during the war. I would rate them the equal of Zeiss. They may be a few ticks below the Swarovski EL but are about half the price. Any thoughts on these?
Also Cabela's has just started advertising a new cabela's brand made in Europe roof prism binoc in 10x42. Any Idea who makes these?
okcmco

Jeff Ovington 10-12-2005 09:12 PM

RE: New Meopta binocs, and Cabela's New Euopean Binocs

Yep those Meopta are a nice piece of glass..In fact there are several
Manufactures behind the "Iron Curtain"that make quality optics.
My sister bought a pair while she visited in the Czech Rep.And loves them.
Because of the dollar she didn't pay much for them either.....
Perfect for viewing/hunting within the legal hours in North America...
"And that what really counts."
If hunting in Europe or Africa I'd certainly be comfortable using them,but would probably would buy something better..
As good as the Zeiss Conquest, Khales, among others in that line including some Jap models such as Pentax SP and Nikon LX.
I have never tested against B&L Elite and Leupold GoldRing.So I couldn't tell how the measure up to them...
Swaro EL and Zeiss Victory,Leica, are far superior though but like you say they are twice as much.....
If you like them and they're in your budget buy them..You won't be disappointed..

okcmco 10-13-2005 08:40 AM

Jeff. The Meoptas were superior to the Gold Rings in image quality. It will be interesting to see whicch is more durable over time. I believe the meoptas were better than the Zeiss victory I's. I didn't have time to compare against the Swaro EL's. The Nikon premier LX's were better than the Zeiss, Leica and Meopta.

Jeff Ovington 10-13-2005 11:47 AM

:DSo yas liked the Nikons clairity eh?
I tried a friends pair of the Nikon LX 8x42 while target practicing with a bunch of my family and friends.
The target was 100 yrds away and using both .284 and .308 bullets had no problem seeing the holes with them, or these othersPentax 10x50Sp, Meopta 10x42 Zeiss Conquest 10x (can't remember the obj size) at that distance either.We did have to move closer to see the holes,but only 5 ft
closer for the Meoptas and Pentax, 8ft for the Zeiss Conquest.And this is for bullet holes which are much smaller than parts of deer that you'll be looking for.
Grantedthe other bino's are more powerfull,and some may have a bigger obj lens,but I can't see Nikon retailing for $200-and in some instances more than $400 more than some of these others.
Just for that SUPER DUPER LENS COATING.
Bottem Line,Kudo's to you for looking at quality,and getting the best deal for your dollar.
If I had to choose between two well made binos's it would be between
Leupold Gold Ring, and Meopta in the 10x42's.
Might just come down to durability and waranty between the 2 of those.
Have Fun Choosing.
Wish It Was Me:D