HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Question on Rusty Ole Man Climbing Stand???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/114406-question-rusty-ole-man-climbing-stand.html)

Borty77 09-26-2005 07:30 PM

Question on Rusty Ole Man Climbing Stand????

I have an ole man multivision that I haven't used in a few years. I am going to try it this year but it is covered in rust. The pins, arms, and cables all have a light coat of rust on them. My question is do any of you have the rust problems with your stands, and would you trust them to climb in? I will probally see if they will send me some new pins.
Borty

TrophyBux 09-26-2005 07:41 PM

RE: Question on Rusty Ole Man Climbing Stand????

I don't have an Ol' Man, but my pins rust every year (of course I replace them). If the whole thing is rusty, I'm not sure I would use it. Nothing will probably happen, but knowing my luck, I'd break something loose. Probably not worth the risk!

TrophyBux 09-26-2005 07:43 PM

I almost forgot. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a safety harness!

Rebel Hog 09-27-2005 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: TrophyBux

I almost forgot. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a safety harness!

DITTO,DITTO,DITTO!

kevin1 09-27-2005 08:09 AM

If it's just light surface rust the stand should be safe to operate , any pitting would be suspect though . Give the rusty areas a light coat of mineral oil and then inspect them again . All cables have built in corrosion protection via the lubricant inside inside them , and a pin would have to be very corroded to no longer bear it's rated weight . Pay particular attention to the arms where the pins connect , if you see pitting around the holes don't use the stand . Inspect the holes around ALL of the fasteners , be sure to check for loose or corroded fasteners . Wear is more likely to be a problem than rust .

madboarman 10-01-2005 10:44 AM

i don't agree using a harness. I know its "unsafe" depending on how careful you climb but think about it man. Your carring a big ol stand, wearing 3 layers of clothes that adds about 30 pounds to you, your balance is off from all the weight plus its pitch black dark, your made all kinds of noise from limbs hitting your stand's metal parts, do you really want to turn on a light and take time to put this harness on and then add an extra 20 mins of climbing time gradually moving the strap on the tree up? I don't. And don't say, to wear it, good grief, just walk out in the woods singing if your going to do that.

Ruger-Redhawk 10-01-2005 04:33 PM

madboarman I beg to differ with you.Most harnesses can be put onin no time.If you ever come flying out of your climber you'll wish you had taken the couple minutes putting the harness on.I use to go without a safety harness on until a bad experience with a Treelounge.Now I won't go 5' without a safety harness or at least a safety belt on.It's your choice what you choose to do.

Ruger Redhawk