Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 GPS (how good are Garmin eTrek series?) >

GPS (how good are Garmin eTrek series?)

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS (how good are Garmin eTrek series?)

Old 09-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default GPS (how good are Garmin eTrek series?)

Hey there... I have really been toying with the idea of picking up a GPS unit. There are so many makes and models out there that it is mind boggling!

What do you think of Garmin? Check out this hyperlink....

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/

Man, IWANT this thing! [8D] It has maps and downloadable features and all sorts of stuff! See, I am looking for a good GPS unit that ismore thanjust a "glorified, tricked up, compass" - you know what I mean...

See, this year I plan on going out waaaaaaaay far away fromthe crowds, up into the George Washington National Forest here in the western part of VA and camp out for a few days. I already spoke with the park rangers and so on about the forest and the whole area in general. There are places out there that are still classified as pure, pristine, "wilderness areas". 30-35 square miles of absolutely nothing.... No civilization... No anything... "It's real easy to get yourself turned around and off the trails, when you don't know the whole area well. A GPS unit will lay out the whole area for you, so you will always know exactly where you are at all times. We all have 'em up here. They're a good thing to have." - quote unquote from the ranger on the phone.

So, anyway, what do you think of Garmin GPS units?

Thanks for any info, help, suggestions....

Butch A.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: GPS (how good are Garmin eTrek series?)

I have the Etrex legend,
It was a fun toy at first, but now prefer map and compass,
first of all it took way to long to track the satelites, which was really annoying,
also you have to be moving for the compass to work,
and the compass feature never quite worked right,
I also bought the topo software for the etrex, which does not show much detail, just that there s a mtn up ahead which you could spot from miles,

to me nothing beats knowing how to use a compass correctly,
Old 09-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really like my Garmin Summit, I rarily use the mapping features but this model was the only one at the time that offered an electronic compass (which I use often and think should be standard with all GPS's). It is very easy to use and navigate, yes it takes time to track satelitte's in tough terrain but has proved it's worth on many occasions iuncluding finding the best route to a downed animal to drag it out or back to camp. Personally would never go into the woods without a compass and for scouting I prefer actual topo maps that I can lay out to pour over vsscrolling through ascreen. That said it is a nice tool none the less and very useful addition tomy pack.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the replies....

I have a compass (actually a "lensatic" compass) in my pack that looks like this....

....which is really cool to use for orientation and direction. But a GPS will allow me to mark waypoints and tell me exactly how far I am from where Iparked my truck and the quickest route to it.

Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, etc...etc... there's a TON of GPS units out there! Some are hundreds and hundreds of dollars too! I read some of those internet shopping/consumer reports/reviews websites and they list the Garmin Legend and the best bang for the buck, with the most features, for the least amount of money. So, that's what triggered me into checking it out and asking about it.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

If I buy another one and would use it extensively, I would buy a Garmin Legend but..........my Garmin Etrex will do absolutely everything I want it to do. I used myEtrexall the time on my recent trip to the Flat Tops in Colorado. I generally went by myself, traveled several miles a day andnot oncewas I afraid of getting lost. Its easy to use and mine is reliable so far, although I carried a compassfor extra safety and just in case. These newer models do a good job of picking up satellite signals in heavier wooded conditions too.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have the Etrex Legend. Some things I've noted between the Magellan and Garmin. The map data and info on the Magellan is much more complete than the Garmin, although the Magellan requires much more memory. I use mine primarily for marking waypoints for deer sightings, stand locations, secondary navigation. I use my compass for reference on which way I'm heading way more than the gps. Bottom line if you want a basic gps that's easy to use and won't hit you that bad in the wallet get the Garmin.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks everyone.... Well, I went and did it... I ordered the Garmin eTrex Legend GPS unit off the internet. ($139.00 with free shipping/handling! )

I checked out CNET and something like consumersearch.com and/or consumerreports.com and searched all the entry/mid level GPS models.

It was pretty cool. I found a website where you can sort by price by feature by model by whatever... and the "top featured buy" kept coming up as: Garmin eTrex Legend.

So, I ordered it online from a place called "digitallyunique.com" http://www.digitallyunique.com
and they had free shipping for products over $100 bucks!

Man, I can't wait to get this thing and check it out! You can also get CD-ROM's of topo maps (but OMG are they expensive!!! [&:]) and all sorts of add-ons to a GPS unit. COOL!!!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son has the Garmin Etrex and it’s nice and compact unit. Good luck with yours but make sure to bring some extra batteries for those long days.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Etrex and use it all summer on atv trips so you know it has to be tough to survive those rides. It is a simple to use durable unit for a reasonable price. I have had mine for a year with no problems.

SF
Old 09-26-2005, 07:27 AM

I've had many GPS units since they're release to the public and hands down, the Garmin units are the best.

Quick Reply: GPS (how good are Garmin eTrek series?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.