Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Camouflage Ground Blinds

Old 08-30-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Camouflage Ground Blinds

Can anyone give me some advice about "ground blinds"? I'm looking at an Ameristep Doghouse TSC (which is a spring steel pop up type), or an Escape DX (which is a collapsable hub on each wall type). Some say the "hub" type is more stable in the breeze, but the Doghouse pop up one has a zip in/out floor. Both have a sort of "scent containment system and shoot through windows. Both are inCabela's Fall 2005 catalogue. I've bow hunted from treestands for 15 years now, but would like to try it from a ground blind. Any thoughts/advice/experiences would be appreciated, since I have to order soon. Thanks

[/align]
Old 08-30-2005, 05:52 PM

Default RE: Camouflage Ground Blinds

I have a doghouse blind and dont really like it because its a little cramped to shoot a bow out of. I was looking at the Escaped DX myself. I like to size and the hub style blinds are a lot easier to set up than the other kind. I would choose the Escape personally, but that is just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

15 years ...no success???...if it aint broke.......
Old 08-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear that some of these blinds are to dark inside for the hunter to see his gear. some have the shoot thru mesh which is good, some are staked to the ground,,less wind movement, one guy says he uses natural cover tree branches etc to break up roof outline . Be sure to clear out area of placement to eliminate (if theres such a thing) noise. maybe before you order,, go to gander mtn or dicks sports, etc and sit in one on display and maybe try it then buy it
Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the Ameristep Doghouse TSC and am very satisfied with it. I actually use it, the original Doghouse and a Penthouse blind during various times throughout the season...depending on conditions, locations and the number of people I am hunting with. The Doghouse TSC is actually 8 inches wider than the original Doghouse model so many folks who feel the original to be a bit cramped might actually find the TSC model to be more comfortable.

I have taken two does out of these blinds so far and must say that they come in very handy under the right conditions.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

I use an Ameristep Penthouse, it is a really nice blind. It is a good bit bigger than the doghouse you were looking at. There is a ton of room inside, i can stand and draw my bow without hitting anything and im 6' 2". It is pretty dark inside so i keep a small light with me.
Things i like, its is portable, i can take it just about anywhere. Plenty of room, scent proof, concels me very well.

Things i dont like, bulky and akward to carry, mine weighs about 25 pounds and fits in a big round back pack. Loud zippers, you gotta zip them up slowly. Being so big it does stand out a good bit in the woods. Noisy inside when the bow is shot, it echoes throught the blind like a shotgun going off.

Some tips about hunting from a blind that i have learned. Set it up several days to weeks before you hunt from it. Deer will notice it and realize that something has changed. I had my up for a day before i went hunting for the first time out of it and a doe still stood there staring at it for about 20 minutes. Scrap all the leaves out of the area you are going to put it in so you can move around in it without making noise. Cut some brush and pile it around it, to break up the boxy shape, i also put small branches in the limb pockets on the corner of mine. Without some brush around it, it looks like a small dark house setting in the woods.

I have never seen the other blind that you are looking at so i cant really compare them. I do like my Penthouse though, I like the room in it, i can take my wife along and we both have room to move around. My blind is 6 1/2 foot square by 7 foot tall.

Good luck in joining us on the ground. Whatever blind you choose, you will find its a whole diffrent hunting experience.

Dave