HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Mossy Oak -v- Advantage Timber (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/10822-mossy-oak-v-advantage-timber.html)

JC-1 09-25-2002 04:51 PM

Mossy Oak -v- Advantage Timber

What's the difference? Potato... PotatO?

Is one better than the other? Any situational differences?

Personally, I like the advantage timber style better for aesthetic reasons.

Clark

Houston, TX

Allen Denton 09-27-2002 11:31 AM

RE: Mossy Oak -v- Advantage Timber

Last year I went to Atvantage Timber but in the years past I have used other styles. I am very happy with the Advantage Timber but I do not know if I would say that one is better then the other.

dick_cress 09-27-2002 07:08 PM

I have two sets of Mossy Oakk. The original and the new Shadow Bark. Both are perfect in Washington State and I prefer them over advantage. But if the truth be told, I wouldn't mind having a couple sets of advantage too. One should always, where possible and practical, have several sets of camo to match the area yoiu're hunting.

Bowhunter

Deleted User 09-27-2002 10:02 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Brampton Mike 09-28-2002 04:30 AM

I use Mossy Oak but have been known to mix & match while turkey hunting..........basically they are the same $hit but different names...............just my .02 cents worth.

bgcorn 09-29-2002 12:36 PM

I use both patterns.

340WBYMAG 09-30-2002 05:18 AM

Moosehead, hit it right on the nail. Its all about personal preference. I have both and interchange them all the time. Be more concerned with the quality of the garment and the features you want then the camo. Up here in Ontario we have to wear hunter orange anyway so camo really is merely preference.

Brampton Mike 10-01-2002 04:22 AM

Hey 340WBYMAG...we only have to wear Hunter Orange during the firearms season....full camo during the archery season...wouldn't want to confuse our neighbours to the south...as I said previously....I too mix & match......Brampton Mike

340WBYMAG 10-01-2002 05:04 AM

I stand corrected, Ok maybe just sitting. Thanks Mike

MAXI50 10-01-2002 05:59 AM

I think most of the camo's out there these days are pretty good. The trick is to match it as closely as possible to the terrain, etc. that you hunt in. There are a lot of options but I do like that Mossy Oak.

Mykey 10-01-2002 12:53 PM

I've been using the Natural Gear (Natgear) camo here in NC for 3-4 years now. I also have several patterns from Mossy Oak and Realtree so i just mix and match. It works well with all terrian and any game that i hunt. The key though is movement, it doesn't matter what you wear if you move you'll get busted.

300winmagnum 10-06-2002 07:37 PM

Mykey definitely hit it right on the head. You can wear any camo patterns you want, but if but if you move it doesn't matter.

DougMD 10-07-2002 11:33 AM

I got NatGear too, since I hunt out of pines a lot.

I like the MossyOak Breakup a little better, only because it is darker and will therefore hold dark enough color through gazillion washings.

Sooner_Hunter 10-19-2002 12:44 AM

truth be told neither is worth writing home about.

1950KID 10-27-2002 06:51 PM

Don't get caught up in the marketing trap. One camo is as good as the next. THe animals are looking at it, not people. I like the look of Mossy Oak, but I don't think the deer or turkeys know the difference.

jerseyboy 11-05-2002 01:21 PM

I have used both, I like the look of the advantage timber,
but would love to get some of the natural gear.
What is important is to use a detergent w/o uv brighteners!
Any camo washed in regular detergent will glow blue in a deers
eye as they see into the UV spectrum!!! Supposedly deer don't pick up the hunter orange because their vision is poor in that range of the spectrum

MATTHEWS 11-05-2002 02:12 PM

Camo is Camo as long as you blend in with Mother Nature, sit still, and are scent free.

nodose 11-05-2002 08:22 PM

LOL....i was hoping this topic would go in the direction that it did in the last couple of posts. i get caught up in the camo fashion statement as we all tend to...i use mossy oak, timber ghost, advantage, treebark, realtree ect...etc..ect you name it i got it, and 2 yrs ago my father and i were in deer camp and the weather was extremely hot and he killed a deer while wearing a tee-shirt and a pair of jean shorts. he turned to me and said jokingly you just keep impressing the camp w/all those fancy clothes of yours and ill fill the freezer...LOL. camo patterns are created to appeal to people not animals. so as 1950kid stated "don't get caught up in the marketing trap." take it from someone who knows first hand...it can get expensive..

Edited by - nodose on 11/05/2002 21:26:55

lockheed 11-06-2002 03:31 PM

nodose is correct. The entire camo craze, as well as many of the tools we "can't hunt without", are marketing ploys. There have been more deer harvested in the U.S. using 30/30 rifles than any other, and there have been more deer harvested by men wearing non-camo pants and jacket. If you read many current hunting magazine articles, the 30/30 is no longer considered an effective deer rifle. Gun manufacturers and hunting gear manufacturers cannot stay in business if they don't convince the hunter to keep buying more stuff. My best advice is to stay on stand and stay still. Good luck

abnranger 11-14-2002 07:30 PM

Truth be told, good ole GI Woodland BDUs work weel too.

As far as which works better; you have to know where you hunt. In my area of SW PA in my woods for archery season what blends best depends on the foilage. Early season, it seems Advantage Green, or New Mossy Oak blends well. Mid and late, Advantage Grey or Mossy Oak original; now that we are into the leaves are changing/falling Forrest Floor fits in with the yellows/beiges/oranges better. If you hunt corn fields be cutting MO/Realtree Shadow Grass

Combine with a good scent cover; Robison Labs Fall Blend or HS Dirt. They are everywhere and won't really be out of place.

Most applications; a combo of MO and Advantage. If you live in the high plains, check out Montana Camo.

pinmaster 11-16-2002 09:02 PM

99 out of 100 adult deer can't tell the difference! (LOL)

>>>------------>
Pinmaster - At Home In The 11 Ring!
>>>------------>

DoninVa 11-23-2002 08:14 AM

Camo is for the hunter not the game. Pick what you like best and just don't move when they come in. You can wear anything as long as the wind is right and you watch your movement:). Don