HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Leupold or Zeiss ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/107276-leupold-zeiss.html)

jager1 07-31-2005 05:21 PM

Leupold or Zeiss ?

I'm thinking about about a 4.5 x 14.5 VXIII or Conquest. I mostly hunt deer in So. CA....can be long shots. Is Zplex reticle the same as duplex? I need help choosing the reticles...Thanks

MOTurkeyTamer 07-31-2005 05:59 PM

RE: Leupold or Zeiss ?

ORIGINAL: jager1

Is Zplex reticle the same as duplex?
Yes

RedAllison 07-31-2005 06:09 PM

jag both scopes are quality pieces but I believe you'll find the Conquest to be a better scope. The entire Conquest line is laserclear and of course the quality and durability are "Zeiss".

As for the reticle, you mentioned longrange shooting. Have you considered the mil-dot reticle? They are THE most practical and consistent tools for shooting over 300yds. I have yet to sell a customer a mil setup and them not RAVE about it after a season. Many have the reticles changed in their other scopes as a result!

Good luck,
RA

skeeter 7MM 07-31-2005 10:27 PM

Both are good. I picked the Zeiss over the VXIII, just seemed to be the better optically to my eye. So far they have been great, so no complaints.

Yes the zplex is a duplex reticle but much bolder than the regular duplex the VXIII uses. It is one thing I really noticed and prefer when comparing, seems to jump out to my eye. Works great for low light. I have grown very fond of it and hasn't caused me any concerns in regards to shooting distance.

okcmco 08-02-2005 11:19 PM

I was looking at the same zeiss scope and considering the leupold too. I found the zeiss optics to be a bit superior (even though this is the "economy" zeiss scope. In my muble opinion, the zeiss glass is clearer and brighter by about 5% or more. Leopold has a well earned rep for sturdy optics, but so does zeiss. The only thing that would steer me toward the Leupold is the fact that thier customer service is legendary. I have had experience with thier warranty work and it was quick and painless. Most of my hunting partners trust Leopold above all others for this reason. But Hunters can be a bit conservative, and I have yet to make a decision
okcmco

stubblejumper 08-03-2005 05:51 PM

I agree with the other posters that the conquest is brighter offers slightly better optics.

Jeep4x4 08-05-2005 10:56 AM

Zeiss for the clearity.
Leupold for the price.

stubblejumper 08-05-2005 11:33 AM

I do hunt the open prairies of Saskatchewan and Alberta so shots can be long,but I still do not find any need for more than 9x or 10x on a big game rifle.

jcchartboy 08-05-2005 12:01 PM

Zeiss...Nuf said....

Sniper151 08-06-2005 12:14 AM

jager1, Compare any Zeiss with the Leupold LPS before you make a decision. You'll know what I mean when you compare to two in clarity, light gathering ability and most important, warranty. The Vari X II's are comparable to the Zeiss, but the LPS is in a class of it's own. The LPS series is second to non and that includes the big buck European scopes like Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica. The only scope that I have found that comes close to the LPS is the Unertl 10x if you don't mind dropping $2,500. for a fixed 10x scope.
Good Hunting....