HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Under Armour as a layer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/104901-under-armour-layer.html)

txbigbuck 07-07-2005 06:49 PM

Under Armour as a layer

Has anyone ever used Under Armour as a base layer and if so, how well does it work?

Western MA Hunter 07-08-2005 07:22 AM

RE: Under Armour as a layer

I have an under armour longsleeve that I usually wear as a base layer both during bow season and shotgun/muzzleloader. It is very nice during bow, but during shotgun/muzzlelaoder, we are usually doing drives. I still sweat, but it does seem to whick some moisture off of the skin.

sdeshazo 07-08-2005 09:25 AM

I love Under Armour, that stuff is great & nowBass Projust released it in camo. I've already ordered some that should be here in a day to two.

liquidorange 07-09-2005 11:05 AM

seems to be WAY TOO MUCH HYPE ABOUT THIS PRODUCT . it has interested myself recently and i cant find too much about it being good for stationary hunting for long periods. if your doing alot of moving around it sounds like it will wick the sweat away. im staying with my military weight poly pro insulated underwear.. it hasnt let me down yet and less than 20$.

Ryan Campbell 07-10-2005 06:09 AM

I'm a big fan of under armor. I use it at work and hunting.

PA Bow/Flinter 07-11-2005 07:05 AM

I have the Under Armour Cold Gear for soccer, but I also useit for hunting. Itworks wonders on the long walks to your standwhere you will most likely build up some sweat. It keeps you warmduring the walk, andonce you sit down it keeps wickingaway the moisture. This way it prevents you from starting to cool down once you stop moving. I wear it just for this reason, although I do feel that it does aid in keeping you warm to some degree. Also the fact that itis skin tight is nice for bowhunters, because it helps keep the clothing close to your body.

bow27 07-11-2005 08:17 AM

I agree with liquidorange. It works to keep the moisture off you when moving (skiing and jogging) but I haven't had luck with it when I stop and sit still after a long walk. It just doesn't keep me as warm as the poly pro stuff does.

Western MA Hunter 07-11-2005 08:55 AM

I bought mine originally for the gym. I like to wear it while lifting. I just started wearing it hunting last year. I have a serious problem w/ sweating.... So, I will try any edge to keep myself from being soaked by the time I get to my stand.

oldrgr 07-12-2005 05:09 PM

I've worn poly pro since the early 80s. I just got some UA cold gear for this fall's hunt. I also sweat a great deal and really need its purported wicking ability. I've never read anything specifically oriented at UA for warmth when stationary. It's claim to fame is its wicking ability.
I have no personal experience with it, but my son wore it during the winter in Iraq and swore by it - again for its wicking ability. The body armor that the troops wear smothers your torso creating an incredible amount of body heat. It kept him dry.
If you have to walk then sit, go very light during the walk in, then pile on the snivel gear for the sit. I routinely wear only a poly pro top with neck dickie and watch cap while moving before sun up even when it's down in the teens. I sweat that much. My back is what really gets soaked under the back pack.
Regards

liquidorange 07-14-2005 04:45 PM

my take on the poly pro is that it not only wicks sweat but creates loft or an air barrier like wool. on a long walk with gear to a stand i make it a point to not wear anything heavy and once im up in my tree lounge after climbing and sweating some more i change my light shirt to poly pro and wool or a fleece sweatshirt with a winter jacket over that. i also change my socks. this is when i will be sitting all day. i also uise a 12 pocket vest that holds those heat packs when below 20. i can sit all day and laugh at the cold even in wind as long as i have my 2 face masks on.