Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them >

ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Old 08-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

2002 Suzuki Vinson 500 automatic
winch
plow
cargo box
gun/ bow holders

PROS:
Strong pulling and great at slow climbing (especially in 4 low)

Never ever got stuck or had to use winch.

No maintenance problems except for routine oil change and tune up etc

CONS:

a bit pricey

2002 didnt have a locking front end which I feel would improve my machine
Old 08-08-2005, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: mrwake

Edit Kraw: heat probelm and many others have been fixed. There are also a few mods to make it run exeptionally cooler.
I have both heat fighter kits... no help.

I have jett hot coated my header... seems to have helped. Haven't really had a chance to run it hard since I got it done.

Other then relocating the radiator to the top, I can't think of anything that will make it run exceptionally cool
Old 08-09-2005, 07:50 AM

I own a 2000 Suzuki 500 Quad Master and a 2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. The Suzuki is a little more nimble in steering but other than that, I love my Polaris in every other catagory. Comfort, pulling power, reliability etc...I use both of these in the black-muck trails of Alaska every week (year round) and the Polaris definately out performs the Suzuki.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I know is my Polaris pulled just fine...well as long as a honda or yamaha made the trip to tow it back to camp!

I have owned a few, drove a ton but the man asked for owned so I'll stick withthose.

Honda -84' 250 Big Red, 89'300 Fourtrax and 94' 400Foreman all worked fine and provided many miles of trouble free service. The Fourtrax and Foreman had the b workedoff them they required a little maint. as a result but nothing I wouldn't expect. Don't think its really fair to compare them against each other or whats available today due to the vast changes. They all served the purpose well and would not hesitate to buy a Honda. The only common thing they shared was ride was not the most comfortable, they progressily got better with newer models but even the foreman threw me around pretty good in the tough stuff. Things I put on the 4 wheelers was aftermarket tires, winches and thumb throttle extender on the Foreman.

Yamaha - 92' 350 Big Bear.(guiding rig) Tough as nails and would out pull any big bore in todays market...I am 100% serious. That sucker moved everthing you hooked onto..it was nothing short of amazing the grunt it hadin the low 1st. It required nothing but maintaining, just didn't breakdown and almost boring how reliable it was...lol! I never did like the lights, the small potts were not very bright and it was another rough rider. Added spotlight, aftermarket tires and winch.

95' 400 Polaris Sportsman - I think you know what I think about it's reliabilty and service by my first comment. It was true in fact my Polaris made only one hunting trip where it needed a couple of haul backs over a period of 9 days...enough was enough the ride was not worth the worry so the Honda made the trip from that point forward.Ihad likes about it though;
Auto tranny was great for the wife and I liked it when plowing. Ithad noshortage of top end being a 2 stroke when you throttled down she had no problems leading the pack. Ride and handling was very good. Stability was also excellent. Light has nice lows for the trail and highs if needed on the bars. I had aftermarket tires and winch added to the polly.

Like I said I have experience with others but the man wants the ones I have had the pink slip on .... I will just say mysmall sampling of those owned mirrors my experience with others. Red or Blue is the colour. So takeit FWIW!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:42 PM

I just bought a Kubota RTV 900 and took it down to south Texas for a trial hunt. I know it's not as fast or nimble as some of the others, but I figure the hydrostatic transmission (take your foot off the gas and it stops, even down monster grades), big certified Roll Over Protection System and max speed of 25 mph would keep me out of trouble. It went through, over and around everything I pointed it at down there, including down into the Nueces river. I crushed a lot of cactus and mesquite, making me very glad I had upgraded to the Essex Surefoot 6 ply, Kevlar belted run flat tires. I am enclosing/attaching a picture with a pretty nice ram (36 inch horns) I took while I was down there.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

honda rubicon ..[tires BEAR CLAW]
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes siree there ajdillon, that's quite a beast. There's a place for those 2-bys.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:00 AM

I have a 1999 Honda 4x4 400 and a Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 400 both are good bikes and i think i,ll stay with what i got have been riding honda products since 1972
Old 08-14-2005, 10:28 AM

YAMAHA !!!! RIDE THE BEST
Old 08-14-2005, 08:03 PM

Have a 05 Honda Rancher AT and really like it so far. Was torn between the Yamaha line and Honda don't think that you can go wrong with either one. Have heard neg reviews on the Suz and Polaris regarding reliability. Would prefer ind rear suspension but everything else is awesome. 2wd or 4wd electic shift or AT solid package. Paid $4800 used had 50 miles on it, now has a bunch more! Gary

Quick Reply: ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.