Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Ultimate Hunting Watch!!

Old 06-16-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Ultimate Hunting Watch!!

I've just used a timex for years and to be honest with you I've never been very happy with it. The buttons get pushed by my sleeves or gloves so the indiglo lights up all the time or the watch switches to stopwatch or some other function so when I actually do want to see the time I have to fiddle with the buttons to get it back to the time. Plus the batteries never last verylong because the indiglo light is always staying on so long. Well I have found the perfect hunting watch! It's made my Luminox and it was originally designed for the Navy Seals! It uses a special gas in the hands and hour markers that actually glows in the dark, no batteries to run the light and no need to leave it in the sunlight hoping for some glow-in-the-dark coating to stay visible.

The watch is extremely well made and the battery is supposed to last 4 years before needing replaced.

They sell these for $225 at Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops but if you watch e-bay you can find them for as low as $125 brand new! I definitely think they're worth it.

If you're looking to get one try searching e-bay for

"Luminox 3901" (Black face)
"Luminox 3903" (Blue face) - (My favorite)
"Luminox 3905" (Yellow face)
"Luminox 3913" (Khaki Face)
Old 06-16-2005, 05:12 PM

Default RE: Ultimate Hunting Watch!!

I've still got the $15 dollar watch I bought over 20 years ago - works fine. I just can't see spending a lot of money on a watch.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

They sound like some impressive watches...and look good as well but that price is the kicker. I had no idea they went for so much. From what you said though it sounds like they are worth it.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:53 PM
XTP

200 bucks buys alot of batteries for my 50 dollar watch,and I always have a couple of flashlightson me so checking the time really isn't that hard to do........but then again.....Fathers Day is coming.!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I've always had pretty good luck with a Timex but my indiglo button is at the bottom of the face plate and hasn't ever been turned on accidentally.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck, just go out before sun rise and come back after sundown and you don't need a watch.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Yeah, you can tell the time in the dark with atwo dollarwatch and a match but that isn't really the point. I guess these watches are for those of us that like to have the best gear out there. Heck I could bowhunt just fine with a $50 used bow but I prefer my $700 Mathews. I've just had it with cheap gear altogether because at some point it lets you down.

Here in Iowa we can hunt 1/2 before and 1/2 hour after sunset so you really need a watch you can see in low light to be legal.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:06 AM

Nice watch C4T, thanks for the post. I agree, a good watch is an important piece of gear. A couple years ago, I picked up a Suunto watch strictly for my hunting watch. Has acompass, alt, baro, all built right in. I've found it to be very handy. My only complaint is the size. It's a bit larger than I would like, but it sure works nice.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just picked up a nice little cheap one on ebay. It is a mossy oak watch w/ a built in ball compass on the base of the band. Only $15 too!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

Heck, just go out before sun rise and come back after sundown and you don't need a watch.