HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   How do you get FCC license for Walkie-Talkies (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/102881-how-do-you-get-fcc-license-walkie-talkies.html)

Oldguy 06-14-2005 11:09 AM

How do you get FCC license for Walkie-Talkies

I am using my original 2 watt radios because I can;t figure out how to get the proper license. I bought a 3 watt when they first came out (cheap one) it did NOT have an application with it but gave a web site where I could download one.

There was so many different license apps on that web site and they used terms that only a Ham Operator would understand, I finally gave up![:@]

But I would like to have one of these new 5 watt jobs.:D

So if any of you folks could steer me in the proper direction, I would appreciate it very much!

longrifle1000 06-14-2005 12:06 PM

RE: How do you get FCC license for Walkie-Talkies

I posted a link below to the fcc on 2 way radios. On the right hand side, under Licensing, their is a pdf file with the info. The fee is $80/call sign. So, you would have to have one, and so would the other person. Hope this helps.

FCC GRMS

Their is also a link at the bottom on a getting started tutorial.

Oldguy 06-14-2005 03:46 PM

I was wrong, my old radio's are 1/2 watt ( .5 milawatt ) not 2 watt.

The higher powered radio that I bought indicated I must have a license, but went on to say that it was free, but evidently it's not free!

thanks for your information!

longrifle1000 06-14-2005 03:57 PM

First check to make sure they are GRMS. FRS does not need a licence. The range is much shorter though. GRMS, you need a license but the range is greater. A lot of radios have both on them. Mine are GRMS/FRS and I just use the channels that are FRS. I was shocked when I bought mine. I thought the license was like $15, not $80. Good luck

PABowhntr 06-15-2005 07:29 AM

If the radios are anything higher than .5 watt then they are GMRS. FRS has a .5 watt restriction. Handheld GMRS can go up to 5 watts though you rarely see any over 4.

rick_reno 06-15-2005 08:17 AM

What's the odds of getting caught without your "license"?

kshunter 06-17-2005 09:11 AM

You won't have tohave a license whenonly using the 1-7 FRS channels but if you use the GMRS channels (8-14) you will. Before anyonetransmits on any channel authorized for GMRS use in any area where services are regulated by the FCC, they are responsible for obtaining a license for GMRS use. Any individual 18 years of age or older, who is not a representative of a foreign government, is eligible to apply for a GMRS system license. Application for a GMRS
system license is made on FCC Form 605. There is a $75. fee, you can get a copy of FCC form 605 at:

www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.html http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.html

Chances of getting caught are very slim, but just depends on your area.

johnch 06-19-2005 09:37 AM

I know that they are wrong ,but of the 15-20 guys I know that have walkie-talkies for hunting (2 watt or higher) non of them have the licesnse.

Johnch

UThunter 06-19-2005 09:02 PM

probly rarely get caught, but i think it's worth buying the license

Oldguy 06-21-2005 07:19 AM

Well, I applied for a license. How long does it take to receive your license?