Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Honda 3-wheeler?

Old 05-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Honda 3-wheeler?

i may be getting a honda three wheeler from a friend and i was just wondering how well it would work for deer hunting and if you had any tips about them? especially about making a rack or trailer type thing. just wondering.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Honda 3-wheeler?

I've used mine in the woods for 20+ years and it has hauled out countless deer. It is the Honda Big Red model. As with any 3 wheeler, you need to very carefull. They tend to tip very easy and the turning radius is not very good, unless you are getting the one with the reverse in it, be preparred to muscle it around. But as with any Honda, it just plain runs. I bought my son a used 4-wheeler, just because they are so much more stable and safe. I have pulled a wagon with mine, and they make the front end very light so you need about 20 acres to turn.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:09 PM

We had one in the 80's - I think it was before they figured out by adding a 4th wheel it would be more stable. Be careful, they will tip over very fast.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah they made sure to tell me that. they haven't gotten back to me on it yet but it isn't gonig to be very expensive, that was my main reason. i don't have the funds to buy a quad so i figured this would serve the purposes that i would need it for. another question. do you load the deer on or just drag it? that's why i was asking whether you used a wagon type deal or made a rack? just wondering.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a 1986 Big Red 200. I got it second, or third-hand, used it hard for 7 years. When I sold it, to buy a Honda Rancher, it was still running!
Mine had a rear rack on it, and I hauled many a deer on that trike!
I also pulled small trailers, and deer stands with it!
When I got on my last hunting lease, the manager showed me around the lease. He had a Yamaha Quad, and did not think that I could keep up with him, or go where he went! He was amazed, the old Honda trike kept up with him, step, for step!
The Big Red should serve you well, as others have said, just be careful on turns and slopes!
Old 05-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be very careful they can hurt you bad,my hunting partner
was in the hospital for four months got flipped off,be very
cautious with this machine![8D]

Old 05-21-2005, 08:08 AM

I usually drag deer with mine as it is a little tough to get them up on the rear rack alone..Don't be afraid to get the 3 wheeler, just be carefull, and please heed all the warnings you have read here. I don't think I have ever fallen off mine, but then again, I'm one of those Sunday drivers.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Typical Buck

I've got a 250 Big Red and I'd buy it or another in a minute.

Be sure to keep the oil in the front forks full or equal. The bushings go bad in those and next thing you know it's all riding on one side and bends the axle.

Just buy the racks you need off ebay. They are cheap enough it's not worth making your own if everything was free.

Mine had a trailer hitch and I put a two inch ball on it. It's amazing what it will drag and do.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:33 AM

I would think you could get a moto 4 yamaha for 200. Or another used atv for under a thousand.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:09 AM

Yes 3-wheelers are pretty good for the hunting, but like everyone else has already stated they do tip very easily. One time showing off to some of my friends a few months ago I was riding a 3-wheeler and was trying to ride on 2 wheels and I flipped and sprained my wrist, so yea be careful.