Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Dogs
 What is the best Breed for hunting dogs >

What is the best Breed for hunting dogs

Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.

What is the best Breed for hunting dogs

Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is the best Breed for hunting dogs

ORIGINAL: Doc E

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i use SMALL lab for grouse/phesants here in pa.

1. but a ENGLISH SETTER can come behind me and get a phesant that my lab missed, i seen that a lot.

2. yet, i like lab.

3. seems other dogs have better nose than lab. maybe doc e and daleh can comment on the nose of lab vrs other dogs.
1. I've see that and I've also seen the reverse
2. Me too ---- especially of the pointing variety
3. I think the jury is still out. It's something that is probably very difficult to quantify. I think most "experts" believe that the Hounds (particularly Blood Hounds) have the best noses.
Then, of course, you have the "Sniffer Dogs" (drug, bomb etc) and Labs (and a few Goldens) make up the huge majority of those dogs. That is likely due to retrievers being a little more laid back and "people pleasers" than pointing breeds --- and that combined with the fact that Sniffer Dogs are working for their reward (a retrieve)of finding the bad stuff.

Some pointer folks have found that plenty of Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)in the diet markedly enhance scenting ability.

i was hunting a area alomg road.

my lab covered the area ,just me and him.

i friend had 2 brittanys, he left them out of jeep and dogs went 30 yds from me, and 2 pheasants they got.

he was done hunting that quick.

i came thru that area 5 minutes ago.

maybe 2 noses are better than 1, i believe that too and maybe thats reason they found those birds.

some dogs cover a lot of area fast and working in pairs helps.

a test was made here at 1 of the preserves.

lab flushed 7 birds.

lewellin setter came next and flushed 11 birds.

they called me and stated they felt that the setters JUST HAVE BETTER NOSE.

this person sells both dogs but rec the setter if you want more birds .

me, so far, i like my lab and i know he does miss birds,but we have fun together and that is what counts to me,not killing a lot of birds.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:55 AM

I don't know if Setters have better noses. I do know that some dogs can smell better than others or it appears that way. Experience makes a big difference. When I am training dogs. I will turn lose a few inexperienced dogs through a course that I know has birds. I will normally get a few contacts with birds.Allot of times I will have to bring them back to an area were i feel confident that there are birds. It is allot of work to get these started dogs in birds, they miss allot.
Now, take the seasoned vets, run them through the same fields and come up with allot more birds. Why?
The seasoned dogs have a better nose? No,they can use it better,and have a better hunting pattern. The older, more experienced dogs alsopay more attention to diferent types of cover.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

A typical hunting day for me will entail woodcock, grouse and snowshoe hare in the morning with ducks or deer in the afternoon. For that, I find the German versatiles work the best. Pudelpointers, Kurzhaars, Drahthaars and Stichelhaars are my preference. Our woods are very dense so a fast, far ranging dog is not an advantage. A lot of people around me hunt Griffons, but I find them tempermental and tend to shut down after 15 minutes without game contact instead of increasing their intensity to find game. Some people hunt setters, spaniels and britts with great success but they're only hunting woodcock and grouse.

In the duck/goose blind, I see no advantage to have a lab over the german dogs. If I were to buy a straight retriever for hunting sea ducks, hands down it would be a Chessie.