Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Dogs
 What is the best Breed for hunting dogs >

What is the best Breed for hunting dogs

Community
Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.

What is the best Breed for hunting dogs

Old 08-20-2008, 01:21 PM

Default What is the best Breed for hunting dogs

In your opinion?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Default RE: What is the best Breed for hunting dogs

It all depends on what you are hunting.
Quail, Grouse, and woodcock My first choice is a English Setter but i also have pointers, german shorthairs, and Brittanys.
Pheasant, never used any dog growing up. Now i would like something that flushes like a Boykin or other Spaniel
Ducks or other waterfowl. Nothing is going to beat a lab but, sometimes they just don't fit in the boat that is why I have a Boykin.
It mainly depends on a persons preference. Thats why they makeFord, Chevy, and Dodge.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just like dale said ---- "It all depends on what you are hunting."

Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

My Chinook X Alaskan Husky/Timberwolf will hunt just about anything. I think it's that trickle of wolf still left in him. He points birds,flushes trees, he'd even retrieve if I thought there would be anything left when he got back.

IMHO, Other than desired game, I think your personality and energy has a lot to do with the dog breed you choose. If you don't want to cover a lot of country I wouldn't get a dog who is going to range all over creation.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

It all deprnds on what you want to hunt.

I hunt waterfowl and Pheasant, andI love Labradors
Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use SMALL lab for grouse/phesants here in pa.

but a ENGLISH SETTER can come behind me and get a phesant that my lab missed, i seen that a lot.

yet, i like lab.

seems other dogs have better nose than lab.

maybe doc e and daleh can comment on the nose of lab vrs other dogs.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i use SMALL lab for grouse/phesants here in pa.

1. but a ENGLISH SETTER can come behind me and get a phesant that my lab missed, i seen that a lot.

2. yet, i like lab.

3. seems other dogs have better nose than lab. maybe doc e and daleh can comment on the nose of lab vrs other dogs.
1. I've see that and I've also seen the reverse
2. Me too ---- especially of the pointing variety
3. I think the jury is still out. It's something that is probably very difficult to quantify. I think most "experts" believe that the Hounds (particularly Blood Hounds) have the best noses.
Then, of course, you have the "Sniffer Dogs" (drug, bomb etc) and Labs (and a few Goldens) make up the huge majority of those dogs. That is likely due to retrievers being a little more laid back and "people pleasers" than pointing breeds --- and that combined with the fact that Sniffer Dogs are working for their reward (a retrieve)of finding the bad stuff.

Some pointer folks have found that plenty of Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)in the diet markedly enhance scenting ability.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

I've hunted with all kinds of dogs. I like German Shorthairs for birds. The best all around hunting dog is easily a West Siberian Laika. I've hunted everything from squirrels and rabbits to bear and wild boar with these dogs. They are amazing.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 PM

I would recomend a German Shorthair Pointer or a Llewellin Setter for upland bird hunting.I had a English Chocolate Lab that would absolutely burn it up on geese and waterfowl!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Spike

My first choice is the chesapeake Bay Retriever I love to hunt waterfowl (have used the grouse hunting too) I also own German Shorthairs and Labs
I use my GSP on upland birds and my labs for upland and waterfowl

Quick Reply: What is the best Breed for hunting dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.