Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
How to Find Farmers to hunt feral pigs on their property? >

How to Find Farmers to hunt feral pigs on their property?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

How to Find Farmers to hunt feral pigs on their property?

Old 03-29-2021, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default How to Find Farmers to hunt feral pigs on their property?

Hey guys, I’m from maryland and I am a bit new to the hunting community. I have been hunting before but I am looking to take the initiative to find my own spots to hunt. I would like to hunt feral pigs especially on a farmer’s property who could use the help. My question is, what is the best way to get in contact with a farmer to hunt on their land when at a distance. Because I’m from Maryland I have quite the drive to hunt feral pigs. I also would prefer not driving 4 hours to knock on doors ask to hunt. Seems like a gamble. Any thoughts on the best way to get into touch online?
Old 03-29-2021, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by LeverAction3030
Hey guys, I’m from maryland and I am a bit new to the hunting community. I have been hunting before but I am looking to take the initiative to find my own spots to hunt. I would like to hunt feral pigs especially on a farmer’s property who could use the help. My question is, what is the best way to get in contact with a farmer to hunt on their land when at a distance. Because I’m from Maryland I have quite the drive to hunt feral pigs. I also would prefer not driving 4 hours to knock on doors ask to hunt. Seems like a gamble. Any thoughts on the best way to get into touch online?
I would not get your hopes up to find people with hog problems in MD. In addition, if I had a hog problem I would not entertain giving permission to hunt my land online to strangers via the computer, I would want to meet and evaluate them in person and I suspect so would most of the folks on this site.. If you want to hunt, you find out where the animals you want to hunt are and then get in your vehicle and drive there and knock on doors.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I would not get your hopes up to find people with hog problems in MD. In addition, if I had a hog problem I would not entertain giving permission to hunt my land online to strangers via the computer, I would want to meet and evaluate them in person and I suspect so would most of the folks on this site.. If you want to hunt, you find out where the animals you want to hunt are and then get in your vehicle and drive there and knock on doors.
Yeah, That’s what I am saying. I know I would have to drive 4 hours south just hunt feral pigs. I also completely agree with your stance on inviting a stranger over the internet to hunt your land. I was more so curious if there was an online forum or place where I could find farmers who need feral pigs removed from their property and could then meet them, rather than the old door to door method.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thee is still nothing better than the door to door method. I guess you did not pick up on it when I said "I wouldn't get your hopes up finding hogs to hunt in MD. There are not enough to bother with if any at all. I drice 12 hours south to hunt hogs in SC. If you want to hunt hogs you have t go where they are.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had pretty good luck in California by making a resume. A picture, my experience ie. My occupation skills, years hunting and I even got hunting liability insurance. I popped it in the mailbox by likely farms. I started out small asking about hunting, Jack Rabbits and Coyote. Most of the farmers I know are pretty busy and many don't want interruptions.
A lot of Alfalfa where I hunted, Alfalfa is to Jack Rabbits what Corn is to hogs, superfood. They multiple out of control quickly.
Once you get the OK from a couple of farmers you can use them for a reference. I eventually got permission to hunt Dove, Chukar, and other game.
Side note once the farmers got to know me and figured out I was a welder things expanded quickly. Most were more than good with swapping a little labor for hunting access. I eventually turned my welding skills into a decent side business, welding farm equipment, and other stuff.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

A foot in one door can open many other doors.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

If you find out how, or find one farmer, let me know. This has been one of my wants also. Just don't know how to crack the doors open from Wyoming, and can't afford those fees.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree. You have to get the legwork in. Face to face. Sometimes though even then its a "catch 22" situation. Farmers don't want the pigs on their property ruining their crops but most want to charge you for helping them out. I can see giving them a small trespass fee and I'd even share the harvest with them if they'll take it.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:23 AM
Spike

There seems to be a huge misconception about how easy it is to find and kill feral hogs. It seems several of you think all it would take is to get in the gate. While you might luck out and get a shot wandering around on a property where hogs are rarely hunted the only way to get even a 60% chance is to bait or keep a feeder maintained. Think of it this way a hog is at least three times smarter than a deer. A hogs nose is far better than a deers and it's hearing is at least as good. So if you are traveling from Wyoming your best bet is to pay a fee as that money is doing your chores for you by attracting hogs to a place you can safely shoot a hog. Corn and batteries are not cheap and maintaining feeders takes time out of the guys day he could be doing other things. If you actually want to shoot a hog pay a reputable person to set it up for you instead of wasting your gas money and time.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

County extension offices might be a possibility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.