Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Shotgun hog ammo

Old 11-18-2020, 09:55 AM
Spike

Default Shotgun hog ammo

Would #4 Buckshot be good for hogs at close range? I have a Carlson's Coyote choke that I can shoot #4 buckshot out of. I also have 1 oz rifled slugs(these are my primary ammo with my rifled choke for deer) Just wondering if the #4 buck would be good to have as a backup ammo or should I use 00 buck as my backup ammo? (A group of them was seen not to far from me so I want to be ready) I already know buckshot works for smaller hogs, but what about bigger hogs (say 150+) Not sure how the #4 buck will preform on hogs beings a small pellet compared to 00/000 buck. I would think with a head shot at close range (25 yards max) they would be good.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never tried Buckshot on Hogs, my instinct says no. I have used slugs and they work well. Hogs are different than Deer and other larger game, they have a higher resistance to shock and their hide is self-healing. IMO unless you got lucky it is doubtful you'd bring down a Hog with any sort of Buck at likely distances.
The common local wisdom says the bigger the better for Hogs. You never can tell when a Five+-year-old Boar is going to wander by and you don't want to be under-gunned. Also the bigger the hole in and out the better if you have to track one. They have self-healing hide and a wound can pucker shut and stop the bleeding pretty quickly. You have to figure they are basically tanks that can barrel through thickets at speed, their hide has to be tough.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Id strongly suggest,after 5 decades of hunting hogs,
if your using buckshot stick to double ought shot size ,
and under about 35 yards in range if you intend on getting good results
http://www.grumpysperformance.com/jan18/dd9908.jpg
thats been good advice even when I use my 10 ga semi auto ithaca
a
1 3/4OZ slug loaded for stationary first shots followed by two 18 pellets 00 buckshot shells in the magazine
http://www.grumpysperformance.com/jan18/CIMG0064.jpg
a 12 ga works, but it's not quite as effective especially once ranges exceed 35 yards
now obviously smaller hogs under let's say 100 lbs maybe a bit easier to kill
than larger versions but most hogs are shot in fairly thick brush
and can go some distance once wounded, you don,t want to lose many with less than quickly lethal wounds

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-20-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:59 PM
Spike

Got it. So pretty much no buckshot for hogs. My primary ammo as mentioned are 1 oz slugs. Just wondering is buck was a good backup ammo. I'll use slugs only when I go hog hunting. Thanks
Old 12-01-2021, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep! Slugs will be your best bet.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

000 Buck or slugs is what I'd suggest.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

you might consider a dedicated slug gun, like in the video,
with a rifled barrel,
if you want to hunt hogs with a 12 ga/20ga,
or a ITHACA 10ga road blocker
Old 12-01-2021, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Brenneke rifles slugs in my Remington 1100 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch . They work well in my modified choke smoothbore barrel and naturally in my slug barrel. I found what Brenneke used to call semi-magnums, a 2 3/4 with a little more oomph. Since I mounted my holo sight and practiced to find proper hold over at extended ranges I can take good accurate shots out to 50 yards, likely much farther with more practice. Brenneke renamed some of their ammo, I haven't seen semi-magnums listed as such recently. Getting the right load for a semi-auto can be a little problematic, the recoil spring only has so much range. Too little and it will stove pipe, too much and things can break. I've read the specs on some of the newer hot slugs and am skeptical my Remington will tolerate them. I'm underwhelmed with the performance of 00 Buckshot on varmints so have my doubts about its performance on Hogs.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

In a few counties of PA buckshot it legal for deer. I used to work the hunts on some of the state parks in those areas. I am under whelmed with buckshot to stop deer, I know people use it but I would not.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
In a few counties of PA buckshot it legal for deer. I used to work the hunts on some of the state parks in those areas. I am under whelmed with buckshot to stop deer, I know people use it but I would not.
As with any tool, understand how it works and use it properly and it's fine. Guns need to be patterned at specific yardages, and then those yardages have to be respected.

Buckshot gets a bad rap from people shooting too far with no idea what kinda pattern they are throwing.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.