Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Big Fella Down!

Old 03-14-2020, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Big Fella Down!

Sat for a couple hours. Have a sounder of 16 come often around the same time every night. Some reason this big boy was only one to show. I was using a 6.8 loaded with nosler Accubond paired with my Pulsar N455. I hit the heart for sure as he only made it 20 yards before taking a dirt nap. The bullet did not make a complete pass thru on him but maybe that could be expected on a beast this big? There was also no blood trail at all! The bullet had to the job though. We did perform operation, I really wanted to, it was just to late to do all that. I really wish I did cut it open to see what the insides looked like. Luckily we found him by watching the video and seeing where he went. By far my biggest. No official weight but I and others belive to be in the 300lb territory. I've shot many 200-250 lb hogs but this is by far bigger, at least to me. Thankful we had the 4 wheeler!

Check out the video if you'd like.

Attached Thumbnails Big Fella Down!-img_20200314_194545_675.jpg   Big Fella Down!-img_20200314_194545_664.jpg   Big Fella Down!-img_20200314_194545_666.jpg   Big Fella Down!-img_1301.jpg  
Old 03-15-2020, 03:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is a big boy! Congrats.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Nice hog. An easy way to get a very good weight estimation is to use the heart girth measurement. All you need is a tape measure.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b68...d4e2cae525.pdf
https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/...r-Letter-1.pdf
Old 03-15-2020, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a huge boar! Congrats.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:43 AM
Spike

That's a beast of hog. Congratulations. That would look great on the wall.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Possibly, but I do not like the taxidermy of hog shoulder mounts as I do not find them looking good. Picture and a memory will be just fine. I have one euro mount of a previous hog I did in the house and I've had one buried for a year.... lol. Maybe my next vacation I'll dig it up and take care of it.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Possibly, but I do not like the taxidermy of hog shoulder mounts as I do not find them looking good. Picture and a memory will be just fine. I have one euro mount of a previous hog I did in the house and I've had one buried for a year.... lol. Maybe my next vacation I'll dig it up and take care of it.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK have to ask, do the BIG hogs taste any different than the smaller one's?
always hear folks same they do, some say they don't

I tend to think it always comes down to what happens from field to table and how its cooked,
but what;s yourr take here??
I gather you eat a lot of them hogs living where your at!

ain't no wild one's here YET , and doubt they will make it any time soon, too many trigger happy people(outlaws) up my way ! LOL

Old 04-06-2020, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

In my experience -which only includes 6 hogs so far, there was a difference. Although the big (biggest being 190lbs) one wasn't as bad as I was expecting and was told that it would be. It still got ground up into sausage all except one roast just so I could try it that way. I was told it wouldn't be edible without grinding it and mixing seasoning.

The little ones (all the way down to about 30lbs probably) made good roasts, good pulled pork sandwiches, and sausage as well. Making sausage is my favorite way to do them though and everyone that's tried it loved it. Any future hogs will just be ground for sausage, because we like it allot.

There are hogs in Pennsylvania. I've seen them in Indiana county while hunting and in Bedford county while driving.

I didn't realize what I was seeing on the Indiana county ones as I wasn't expecting a hog to run out on a drive. I initially thought it was a small bear. So no shots taken. Three others were seen on that drive by other people.

I know Butler county also has hogs, at least they did for a while.

Out of curiosity I googled it just now and came across this article.

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2019/1...xas-woman.html

It lists counties with populations and counties that used to have populations. I think our winter's are pretty tough on them and they don't do quite as well up here as they do down south.

-Jake
Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

It's all about diet. Down here in Florida the diet is terrible. You can go do other states Oklahoma or Arkansas and the diet is very different. I have eaten smaller boar hogs in the 200lb range and they were terrible. I also think it has do with breeding as well and how much testosterone is happening. But smaller is better in this case, to me nothing more than 150lbs max and that's pushing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.