Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Texas losing fight on feral hogs >

Texas losing fight on feral hogs

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Texas losing fight on feral hogs

Old 02-16-2021, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Perhaps they fought it because it is flat out stupid to lay out poison to kill a specific animal when other animals will eat it and die as well. I am no hippie or a rancher but I would have ought it in my state.
The fact is that modern poisons don't translate like that. I used to own a pest control company. I remember the angst some had about poisoned rodents being eaten by other animals. It was shown by the Ag Dept to not be a concern.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DJfan
The fact is that modern poisons don't translate like that. I used to own a pest control company. I remember the angst some had about poisoned rodents being eaten by other animals. It was shown by the Ag Dept to not be a concern.
Actually I picked up a 50 lb bobcat out of a tobacco barn that has been poisoned by eating poisoned rats and mice from the warfarin the owner put around in the barn. on another occasion I also picked up a whole bunch of hawks, owls, robins and other song birds that were falling out of trees all over a large area in peoples yard. I had them tested and investigated and found they were killed by an avicide that was put in a barn to get rid of starlings. The hawks and owls were killed by eating the dying and sick starlings and the song birds by eating the poisoned grain. Don't try to tell me that secondary poisoning is not an issue. The applicator was a very large exterminator company that is all over our state, I prosecuted them.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-17-2021 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:41 PM
Spike

I used to deliver and pick up at a company called Scimetrics, in Wellington, CO. They made poison bait for rodents. They also came up with one for feral hogs. They got screwed, because the hippies in Texas teamed up with the ranchers to prevent it being legal in TX. The hippies fought it because they are stupid. The ranchers fought it because they wanted the hunter money.

Strange bed fellows.
Poison was not "fought" because hippies were stupid or that ranchers wanted hunter money. There was an issue with the hogs being eaten by non target animals and them being killed. If you have some kind of issue with private property rights move to China where there are none.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:42 PM
Spike

How about non target animals eating the poison? I don't even like using rat poison.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

all you texas guys who know farmers, check out this site and see how much taxpayer money the federal government gives them for the damages. then wonder why they want you to pay them for killing their free money cash cow!
https://farm.ewg.org/region.php?fips=48000
Old 01-03-2022, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flags
I have a hard time believing this. I live in TX and I know there are a lot of hogs here. However it is nearly impossible to find someone that will just let you on their property to hunt hogs. The same farmers/ranchers that cry the loudest about hogs will demand you pay them around $150 a day to help them with their problem. So in my mind they can't be hurting as bad as they claim they are. Here is a point in fact:

I lived in the Athens TX area for several years. There was a big rancher/landowner not too far from me that was always screaming about the hogs and demanding the state do something to compensate him for the damage they did. I was driving by one of his pastures and saw a big group of hogs rooting for acorns under a big oak tree in the middle of the pasture. This was less than 3 miles from where I lived. I pulled into the ranch house and told him what I saw and also told him I could run home and grab a rifle and get at least 2 or 3 out of that group since they wold have to cover at least 200 yards to get to cover after the first shot. His reply was "NO because he had paying clients coming later that week." So tell me, just how bad was his hog problem if he wouldn't take some out when offered the chance especially when it was a local he knew that offered to help? Note, I wasn't a stranger, I knew the guy.
Yep - I see that too Flags. The way I see it, if you want hunters to pay to help solve your problem then IMO you can resolve it yourself and quit crying about it. You have hunters wanting to help you and you want them to pay for it. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Easy solution . The state should reduce the amount of compensation he receives by the amount he charges hunters. If he gets caught lying about how much he is pocketing from the hunters , then he loses all compensation and gets criminal charges brought against him for defrauding the state. Sounds like these ranchers are freakin scammers. Why are they getting compensated for anyway ? Sounds like they want their cake and to eat it all too .
Old 01-05-2022, 05:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
Easy solution . The state should reduce the amount of compensation he receives by the amount he charges hunters. If he gets caught lying about how much he is pocketing from the hunters , then he loses all compensation and gets criminal charges brought against him for defrauding the state. Sounds like these ranchers are freakin scammers. Why are they getting compensated for anyway ? Sounds like they want their cake and to eat it all too .
Most ranchers receive nothing in compensation from the Ag department. The damage hogs do does not really effect raising cattle much. Farmers on the other hand can get hammered by a big population of feral hogs. They receive the compensation and really don't want dummies out there riding around on their planted fields. They also can kill hogs on their own or let people they know shoot them. The funny thing is you guys think hog hunting is just a walk out there and shoot some kind of thing, which does occasionally happen but not often and especially not often in the day time. Night hunting requires a set of skills many don't have and the $150. a night often pays for corn in feeders and someone who has to babysit said hunters all night or at least drop them off and pick them up in the morning. As for your so called help shooting one or two won't make a dent if the hog population density is actually enough to cause the farmer real problems.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:03 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Yep - I see that too Flags. The way I see it, if you want hunters to pay to help solve your problem then IMO you can resolve it yourself and quit crying about it. You have hunters wanting to help you and you want them to pay for it. Good luck.
Hunters shooting a few hogs will not solve any problems. No one wants strangers on their property wandering around at night with rifles shooting at whatever they think needs to be shot at not knowing the property well enough to know what directions are not safe to shoot toward. Funny also that you think you would pay $150. and just be let in the gate!. Once again I know plenty of people with land and hogs but have yet to hear anyone snivel about it. The real snivelers are those living in nice neighborhoods whose lawns are getting destroyed by the hogs. Try helping them out and see how little "fun" your having. These people want hunters that will respect their property and also kill hogs. If you think it is worth my while to hang out all night waiting for a couple of inexperienced hog hunters to find a hog then you way undervalue my time an patience.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
all you texas guys who know farmers, check out this site and see how much taxpayer money the federal government gives them for the damages. then wonder why they want you to pay them for killing their free money cash cow!
https://farm.ewg.org/region.php?fips=48000
Free money cash cow? So if feral hogs destroy crops they shouldn't be reimbursed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.