Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Oklahoma public land piggy >

Oklahoma public land piggy

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Oklahoma public land piggy

Old 11-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Default Oklahoma public land piggy

I was out deer hunting last weekend when this piggy made an appearance! I was sitting on the ground up against a tree when he popped around the corner 40 yrds away. When the smoke cleared from the muzzleloader he was 10 yrds and closing. I didn't realize I could move that fast lol. Luckily as I jumped up and darted to my left he went right and missed me by a few feet. Think I might have left a little stain in the underpants lol. This is only the second hog I have seen out there in 9 years of hunting but from talking to the locals they are starting to take over. This one was around 300 to 350 lbs we were guessing.
Attached Thumbnails Oklahoma public land piggy-hog1.jpg  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

congrats on a nice size hog!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations, that is the real deal there.
Kind of gets the old sphincter tight when they run right at you.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

I like the sling on that rifle!

great hog and thank the Lord for fast reflexes!
-Jake
Old 11-06-2018, 03:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the big pig.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I like the sling on that rifle!

great hog and thank the Lord for fast reflexes!
-Jake
lol, The wife surprised me for Christmas with a new gun (Savage Axis in 308) last year. I decided to surprise her right back and put a custom stock to make it hers and got her this sling. Unfortunately in all my sneakiness I forgot where I put my sling that I had taken off. I only have 1 sling and just swap it from gun to gun as I need. (Lesson learned)!! I'll just chock it up to I'm supporting Breast Cancer Awareness. Although I do use pink and black fletchings on my arrows.

Thank yall. It was a huge rush and thankfully the muzzle loader was on and that round did the trick. I have been having trouble with the round and am in the process of finding one with better terminal performance.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on the hog.

Not sure what you are shooting, but I had issues with Powerbelt bullet expansion. More than one bullet passed though a whitetail resulting in less than acceptable blood trail.

I switched to 250 grain T/C Shockwave and 100 grains of Blackhorn. Much better results than the Powerbelts. I shot a small buck last year with the T/C and no exit. He was quartering towards me. And, I was in a tree. Shot penetrated top of front shoulder towards rear quarter without exit. Blood trail was non-existent. Body search in the dark ensued. I found him about 50 yards away. He hopped a fairly tall fence between the scene of the crime and his resting spot. Wow, deer are amazing. Even though no exit, I am happy with the Shockwave. Have shot half dozen deer with it. All piled up in short fashion. I do not bother with bullet recovery. So, cannot comment on weight retention.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Congratulations on the hog.

Not sure what you are shooting, but I had issues with Powerbelt bullet expansion. More than one bullet passed though a whitetail resulting in less than acceptable blood trail.

I switched to 250 grain T/C Shockwave and 100 grains of Blackhorn. Much better results than the Powerbelts. I shot a small buck last year with the T/C and no exit. He was quartering towards me. And, I was in a tree. Shot penetrated top of front shoulder towards rear quarter without exit. Blood trail was non-existent. Body search in the dark ensued. I found him about 50 yards away. He hopped a fairly tall fence between the scene of the crime and his resting spot. Wow, deer are amazing. Even though no exit, I am happy with the Shockwave. Have shot half dozen deer with it. All piled up in short fashion. I do not bother with bullet recovery. So, cannot comment on weight retention.

It was the Shockwaves that I have been having problems with. Great accuracy but very poor terminal performance. I will be trying my luck with a few other brands this next season. Looking at the Barnes TEZ and the LeHighs. I am also considering switching over to the Blackhorn. I have been using pyrodex pellets which are very convenient but if the blackhorn is better I'm all about what will put the deer down quick. Hate losing an animal and with the pyrodex and shockwave combo I have now lost 4 good bucks in the last 7 or 8 seasons. I have just been having a hard time changing because of how accurate they have been for me out of my Omega